Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have one hive and it looks like it overwintered very well. The girls are flying and bringing in lots of pollen. I haven't inspected yet. Well, haven't really opened it up since November.
That may be why they've done so well...hands off.

Looks like a nice warm week ahead with temps 70+ today and tomorrow and in the 50s and upper 40s at night. I'm thinking about inspecting tomorrow and removing the entrance reducer. Is it ok to remove the reducer now? I don't think we'll freeze again but I don't want to 'open' the hive completely.

I'll check for a queen/eggs/capped brood and I think I may move some frames down into the lower deep if I have enough occupancy in the top. That is, assuming they're all in the top super.

When should I consider splitting? When is the latest I should split a hive?

Thanks,
Ed.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
I would wait on removing the entrance reducer until you see bees lined up to get in.

Don't split up the brood nest by moving a few frames down. If they have moved into the top box, just reverse the boxes.

You can feel free to inspect this time of year though.

As far as swarms, it depends on the year, but it can happen any time between now and the first two weeks in April.

If you are planning on doing a split, aim for it around the last week in march, or the first week in April. But make sure there are drones before you do a split.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts