Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you need to order equipment or supplies for this spring, consider ordering early. I was told today that Kelley is about 2 weeks backlogged on shipments. This usually happens about this time of year when too many people wait until the last minute to order. I don't expect to need my foundation for a few more weeks so this is not a major issue to me.

·
Vendor
341 Posts
It's been too cold to ship wax foundation, I'm sure that jams up a lot of their orders.

I get worried if we don't ship something out within 18 hours, can't imagine weeks. Luckily, the only thing that has held up a few orders for us was Ross Round foundation--and we were able to sneak those out during a few warm days.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I think it's curious that every spring is exactly the same. As a supplier, at some point don't you just expect the surge and plan accordingly?
The bees are a finite and perishable resource. Just ordering a bunch more simply isn't an option. There may simply not be enough quantities for them to order in the first place, and they have to be assured that they will go out pretty much the day they come in to them. Thats a logistical nightmare.

Its one reason I ordered early. As in December early.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
They probably do plan ahead as far as inventory, but processing and shipping orders is something that can only be scaled up so much - unless you are willing and able to put on a bunch of temps for just a few weeks. Of course then errors go up efficiency goes down and service suffers.

They do things like run sales and shipping specials to motivate people do make a move. If the customer waits till hives are swarmy to order frames they kind of have it coming if it gets backlogged. I've done it, and it was just plain old my own fault.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts