Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Spring Management: Put leftover honey below hive bodies?

1952 Views 6 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  minz
In The Backyard Beekeeper, the author briefly explains reversing hive bodies in the spring, then states: "If you have a box of honey left, put that on the bottom, the bees in the middle, and the empty box on top." Nothing further is stated about what to expect from the bees or any future steps to take when you put the hive in this configuration.

I can't recall ever seeing this advice elsewhere. Has anyone ever done this, or have any thoughts on whether or not this is a good practice? Would the bees move the honey, or would they be content leaving it below the brood nest?
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
8 Frame mediums throughout
7,759 Posts
I do it, but a little bit differently. I move two frames with eggs into the center of that bottom box of honey. This pins the brood down low in the stack of boxes. The two I remove from the bottom honey box to do this, I move to the center of the top box. This gives two empty frames to move to the outside of the brood in the middle box, for expansion sideways. This will keep the broodnest low, and they'll move the honey from that bottom box up to the top box so they can fill the bottom box with brood.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.