Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today it was a beautiful 60 degree day and I decided to dig deep into my 4 hives. I brought out each frame and scraped( and scraped and scraped) propolis off. For Italians, everything was totally glued together. So for a newbie coming out of her first winter, it took me over 5 hours to do 6 deeps. I've still got one more to do. Does it always take this long to scrape down the hives? Or was I just very slow? I can't imagine the time it would take for 20 hives. On the other hand if you don't do it, how can you dig into the brood nest? I couldn't manipulate the frames without scraping it all off.

Saw a few SHBs. I was hoping these cold winter would have killed them off. Wishful thinking.

Good news is that brood building is underway. Found all my queens. However, on two of the hives, the bottom deep had nothing in them. No honey, nectar, pollen or brood. I reversed these hives deeps to put the empty on the top. Shallow dome of honey and lots of pollen on the brood frames. I'm wondering since I'm only 3 weeks or so from full blooming here whether I should feed or not. Pollen coming in nicely here, but nectar flow still a few weeks off and I'm afraid the new brood might go through the remaining honey before the flow starts. Thoughts from anybody?

Is it good to do a sugar shake for varroa before the big brood build up? Didn't see any signs, but wondered if most people do a pre low check.

Thank for the help

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Today it was a beautiful 60 degree day and I decided to dig deep into my 4 hives. I brought out each frame and scraped( and scraped and scraped) propolis off. For Italians, everything was totally glued together. So for a newbie coming out of her first winter, it took me over 5 hours to do 6 deeps. I've still got one more to do. Does it always take this long to scrape down the hives? Or was I just very slow? I can't imagine the time it would take for 20 hives. On the other hand if you don't do it, how can you dig into the brood nest? I couldn't manipulate the frames without scraping it all off.

Saw a few SHBs. I was hoping these cold winter would have killed them off. Wishful thinking.

Good news is that brood building is underway. Found all my queens. However, on two of the hives, the bottom deep had nothing in them. No honey, nectar, pollen or brood. I reversed these hives deeps to put the empty on the top. Shallow dome of honey and lots of pollen on the brood frames. I'm wondering since I'm only 3 weeks or so from full blooming here whether I should feed or not. Pollen coming in nicely here, but nectar flow still a few weeks off and I'm afraid the new brood might go through the remaining honey before the flow starts. Thoughts from anybody?

Is it good to do a sugar shake for varroa before the big brood build up? Didn't see any signs, but wondered if most people do a pre low check.

Thank for the help
First Priority: FEED with 1:1 sugar water for the next few weeks. It's only February so you will have many weeks to get natural honey.

I am not sure why you have that much propalis to scrape off, unless this is the first inspection of the year. I usually don't scrape off propalis unless it changes the spacing of the frames significantly or if so much is on the ends of the frames that you can't get them back into the hive.

I am in Maryland, so I can only guess as to when the nectar flow begins in your area. Some other folks near you will probably chime in. :)

·
Registered
629 Posts
MsBeHaven. Sorry it took you so long to scrape the frames.

What I've read recently is the spring mite count will give you a base count to go from. That's what I plan on doing for my hives. Better records may help me out later.

Good Luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts