Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
101 - 120 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
We did no heat for years, frozen toes, frozen combs and frozen eggs, if you don't pick them within the hour they are cracked and done. -30C and lower for weeks on end is an incredible stress. My dad built this palace years ago when insulation was cheap and it has 1 foot of insulation in the floor, 1 foot or more in the ceiling and 6 inches in the walls. Not to mention an insulated shuttered window that stays closed when the temps. dip. We sell fertilized eggs from heritage breeds and people in warmer provinces like to have them when they get spring, not when we do. LOL.

You are sooo right....Winter does require more trips to the Hen House, lest you end up w/ frozen eggs.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Saw the below image from Raleigh, North Carolina.

Anyone seeing blooms yet?

Are the maples blooming yet in your location? Any new leaves and buds months earlier than they should be?

View attachment 66793
Maples were red tipping on Friday and dandelions were blooming here in eastern Kentucky and now a week later it’s supposed to be down around 10 degrees for the low it has drove my bees crazy

·
Premium Member
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
maples were red tipping? 10F may kill the buds. I've seen those take temps down into the teens without dying. but I dont know if the red tips can survive 10F.....

·
Registered
21 Posts
here at 6400 feet south of Denver on the edge of the prairie we had a dry very warm December. My rose bushes had new leaves, my lilacs budded out strongly and I worried that the new maples that I planted last year would bud out also. But now we have had very cold nights, snow, and steady bad winds, so everything went black - buds, leaves, etc.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Jan brought -41C today, schools closed, happy, happy kids. Maybe that is why I remember not minding winter, the best days were when the radio announcer called out your bus number as cancelled. Roll over, cuddle in and go back to sleep, there is no better feeling. LOL

·
Registered
148 Posts
i decided to make some sugar bricks tonight. I have 10 trays in the dehydrator. Planning on putting some on a few hives Saturday.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Did hive checks yesterday.
Each yard totally diffetent.
2nd yard, we had drones in the h I ves already.
Were able to idetify hives that might need extra vittles.
So. CARLINA HERE.

·
Registered
21 Posts
my girls were flying today - 50 degrees and sunny. They were sure buzzing around the hive and around anyone that was outside enjoying the sun and working.

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
So the biggest idiots from my collection also decided it is spring today - sunny and just under 40F (just only for now).
Well, most of the idiots end up dead.
It is not Italy here, for Pete's Sake, you fools!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Current temp 57F, predicted 60F tomorrow. I am watching my bees flying and hauling in more pollen. I know this is a sign they are brooding, but I wish it was a month from now. At this rate, I will have to put some feed on a couple of colonies in March.

I have a comment for those who are dismissing the current temperature swings by stating it is a "normal variation". I have an exceptionally good memory that is tied to beekeeping from 1969 until now. In the 1960's and 1970's, I could count on the bees being clustered and unable to fly at all from early November until mid February. Today I am watching my bees flying weekly in January and foraging pollen 6 weeks earlier than normal.

You can tell a city slicker that global warming is bogus and he might believe it. It is hard to fool a beekeeper or a farmer. We have to be out in the weather watching what is happening and keeping track of what needs to be done to keep our stock alive. If weather patterns have changed this much in the 53 years that my memory covers, wouldn't it be reasonable to keep an open mind that maybe this is not a normal cycle? Maybe just watch carefully what happens for the next 10 years and see if perhaps the world we accept as normal is changing a lot faster than we thought possible.

Reactions: ursa_minor

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Current temp 57F, predicted 60F tomorrow. I am watching my bees flying and hauling in more pollen. I know this is a sign they are brooding, but I wish it was a month from now. At this rate, I will have to put some feed on a couple of colonies in March.

I have a comment for those who are dismissing the current temperature swings by stating it is a "normal variation". I have an exceptionally good memory that is tied to beekeeping from 1969 until now. In the 1960's and 1970's, I could count on the bees being clustered and unable to fly at all from early November until mid February. Today I am watching my bees flying weekly in January and foraging pollen 6 weeks earlier than normal.

You can tell a city slicker that global warming is bogus and he might believe it. It is hard to fool a beekeeper or a farmer. We have to be out in the weather watching what is happening and keeping track of what needs to be done to keep our stock alive. If weather patterns have changed this much in the 53 years that my memory covers, wouldn't it be reasonable to keep an open mind that maybe this is not a normal cycle? Maybe just watch carefully what happens for the next 10 years and see if perhaps the world we accept as normal is changing a lot faster than we thought possible.
Memories are notoriously unreliable devices so I have included a few links from the Alabama Office of the Climatologist for your perusal. Interesting if for no other purpose. Enjoy!

Office of the Alabama State Climatologist: The Alabama Office of the State Climatologist :: Dr. John R. Christy

Hottest-Coldest 1895-2018: https://www.nsstc.uah.edu/alclimatereport/april2018/Hottest-Coldest042018.pdf

Wettest-Driest 1895-2018: https://www.nsstc.uah.edu/alclimatereport/april2018/Wettest-Driest042018.pdf

The Alabama Climate Report: The Alabama Climate Report

·
Registered
Langstroth
30 Posts
Memories are notoriously unreliable devices so I have included a few links from the Alabama Office of the Climatologist for your perusal. Interesting if for no other purpose. Enjoy!

Office of the Alabama State Climatologist: The Alabama Office of the State Climatologist :: Dr. John R. Christy

Hottest-Coldest 1895-2018: https://www.nsstc.uah.edu/alclimatereport/april2018/Hottest-Coldest042018.pdf
Looking at the Hottest -I found January and February showing exactly the same temps.

·
Registered
21 Posts

I'm a 5 year beekeeper and a 1.5 year temp. recordkeeper. I'm at 6400' in Colorado and I'm watching our "normal" be pretty un-normal. What's coming is what's coming!

101 - 120 of 145 Posts