Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Saw the below image from Raleigh, North Carolina.

Anyone seeing blooms yet?

Are the maples blooming yet in your location? Any new leaves and buds months earlier than they should be?

Cloud Plant Sky Plant community Natural landscape

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
plenty of dandelions, a few new leaves on the apple trees, honey suckle vines starting to leaf out.

pouring the rain now.

strange weather, strange times

·
Registered
4ish langstrom hives
1,644 Posts
nothing blooming here yet. We have 0 in the forcast in the next week. It has been a weird warm year though

·
Registered
Four hives, two 10-frame & two 8-frame boxes. Two screened bottoms, two solid - all doing well!
63 Posts
Wow, blossoms in December?!? That is crazy.
Nothing here in VA, but boy, it's been warm. So many bees flying that I have set up some open feeders to give thems something to do. They like the syrup, but are going nuts for the Bee Pro pollen sub. Normally, they don't seem to love it, but they are now. Strange times.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
On years that the Santa Ana winds come, it can get close to 100 degrees F in Southern California. We call it "False Spring". Good for bass fishing, and crazy for beekeeping. I've seen small swarms go off in early January.

We had a fairly warm November down here - the nights didn't really get all that cold. The wierdest thing is that 4:00 AM to 5:00 AM is usually about the coldest hour. Lately, especially December, it feels colder just after dark than it does at 4:00 AM.

2021 was our worst, and driest year in my mentor's memory. He started 'keeping back in 1973. The local honey supply got so low it made the front page of the newspaper.

2022 seems to be shaping up to be another weird year, but tonight's rain should take us over 5 inches (county average) for the month. The creeks washed and drained with the last rain in October and again earlier this week - not very high, and gone in a few days. Tonight might even see the river flowing enough for a steelhead run. Whooooeee! I do miss the good old days before they were endangered. Fly fishing for steelhead is a blast.

Happy New Year to you all, and keep on beekeeping.

·
Registered
205 Posts
You guys are all further south of me. For reference, when do you normally see things starting to bloom?

·
Registered
430 Posts
In "normal" years I put on honey supers 3rd week of February to catch some red maple nectar. We are seeing lots of buds. The bees are flying and the camelias / sasanquas are the main bloomers, some henbit & other weeds blooming. Dandelions & Oxalice are blooming.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm in nc as well and have a lot of hive activity for this time of year. I have a steady trail of foragers coming back loaded with red pollen. Not sure where they are going because I don't see any flowering close by. But my apple trees all still have some leaves that didn't even turn colour this year. 🤔

·
Registered
Langstroth
21 Posts
Just south of Topeka Ks. a few days ago, the dandelions bloom. Two of my colonies are still bringing in pollen. Last year it was also sort of like this and then unusually cold weather came. 8 colonies died out at that time. I've added more insulation and windbreak this year in case it is a new pattern.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
3,925 Posts
Just south of Topeka Ks. a few days ago, the dandelions bloom. Two of my colonies are still bringing in pollen. Last year it was also sort of like this and then unusually cold weather came. 8 colonies died out at that time. I've added more insulation and windbreak this year in case it is a new pattern.
check Honey as well, if they think its spring and brood up then it is not they have brood to keep warm and they have used feed to make the brood and when it hatches there is more mouths to feed.
if cold can use dry sugar/bricks, if warmer Syrup.
This could be a bad starvation spring if the bees get a couple mis Queues.

GG

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
I'm in nc as well and have a lot of hive activity for this time of year. I have a steady trail of foragers coming back loaded with red pollen. Not sure where they are going because I don't see any flowering close by. But my apple trees all still have some leaves that didn't even turn colour this year. 🤔
First red pollen in early spring here is from purple deadnettle.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
If they brood up heavy and the weather turns cold all of a sudden most times they will freeze out. Reason being they have broke cluster and standing on brood to keep it warm, they will not leave brood to recluster. I have heard of a keep that went in and pulled brood frames on half of his hives to get them to recluster and saved half of his yard, the other half froze out.

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
This is really not great - bees are being active and burn through the stores.
Indeed, the potential starvation is to be checked for.
Better to just have some real winter, but you have no choice there.

Insulate/windbreak are not really essential for you IF the stores are available.
It is a roller-coaster type winter in KS, but generally is mild.
Before anything else, I'd be sure there is emergency food on the top - that is more critical.

·
Premium Member
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Going to be in the 50s and 60s this weekend. What the hell is going on.

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
Going to be in the 50s and 60s this weekend. What the hell is going on.
Whatever the hell is going on - bees will be burning the stores - not good.
Snow on the ground is much better about now and until March.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts