Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Temps got up to 15C yesterday, sun was out, and the bees were busy.

Saw some pollen, and I'm really not sure what it's from. Aybody got a thought on what plant this color pollen comes from ? The maples we can see show no sign of starting yet.

My wife has a watering jug for the chickens, which I pre-empted yesterday afternoon, and put some 1:1 into it after filling the trough around the edges with rocks. Took about half an hour for the foragers to find it, then they were all over it. I added another gallon this morning, and they are back at it.

We cracked open the nucs for the first time yesterday. Big they are not, but, nice little cluster, still had some honey left, and queens with a tiny brood patch. Hopefully with the weather now changing, it was -10c with 16 inches of fresh snow just 2 weeks ago, today it's +13 and climbing, no sign of snow anywhere, it's time they will start brooding up some.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Aw beautiful! I love spring!

I don't know what pollen that is. Mine have been bringing in loads of yellow pollen from the willow trees close by. A small bit of translucent orange crocus pollen and a small bit of a white pollen - I have no idea from what.

Please let us know if you figure it out.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Tough to say what the pink pollen is from, but I've been getting a fair amount of it as well. I've also been seeing some purple, white and pale yellow. I'm pretty sure the pale yellow is mostly from scouler's willow, based on what I've observed on my trees. Heather is blooming in my neighborhood, and I've seen the bees working several different varieties at my neighbor's place. Looks like the bigleaf maple and alder are just beginning to wake up around here, but they don't appear to have anything developed enough to forage quite yet...

·
Registered
15 Posts
My girls are in it too big time, they worked last night until 630.... mainly bright yellow pollen but a little gray in there too.... i still cant get them to take the sugar syrup? They consume about 5# bakers sugar per hive every 10 days. I thought i was good going into winter but 2 of my italilan hives and one carni ran out early Feb. Hives were light as a feather. Great winter for me though first time i did not have any loss.

·
Registered
137 Posts
my bees were out yesterday in port alberni, lots of pollen coming in almost all orange and yellow, i see lots of hazel in bloom and willow is just opening, crocuses and snowdrops are also open.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is my understanding that hazel produces yellow pollen, neighbors have hazel trees, I haven't been able to see if they are started. I dunno if heather will even be awake yet at this time of year, but I'll ask the folks just up the road that have a bunch. We moved here in August, brought the bees in during late August. When I met one of the neighbors up the road for the first time a couple weeks ago, he mentioned they saw honeybees on the heather right about then, first time in years they have seen a honeybee in the area. Maples are nowhere near ready yet around here.

I put feeders on/in the hives over the weekend, and all of them got a gallon of 1:1. Was out today looking, and none of them are doing much with the syrup in the hives, essentially ignoring the feeders. But the chicken feeder sitting out in the bright sun, they pulled a half gallon out of it on Sunday over a period of 2 hours, that's all I put in it. Put in a gallon yesterday, and it was gone in 3 hours.

But we know for sure that spring is here now, last nite, first time this year, we could hear the frogs in the ditches. That's a really good sign.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts