Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all.

It hit 70 over the weekend so I poked into the hives and saw they were both doing most excellent! Lots of bees and plenty of fondant left. So I fed them their first sugar water of the year and closed them up. Naturally it's dropping back down to freezing again this week so I didn't mess with them too much. My question is, when should I (if at all) drop in some pollen patties? This is my first spring with the hives and not sure how to kick them off. Thanks!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Put patties on asap. I'm just south of you and had them in 3 plus weeks ago. Good job getting them thru the winter. Gotta love fondant. PM me if you need a source for wholesale fondant next winter. Id be glad to pass the info on.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hey fellow New Englander! Hailing from Rhode Island, but just starting out this spring. Congrats on making through one hell of a winter. I did not think it was going to end - still not giving up with this cold spell coming in.

If you don't mind, can you post what type of food you used? I am trying to plan ahead.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I was afraid I should have been giving them pollen already. I will pick some up this week. I just feed them a 1:1 sugar solution with some Honey B Healthy and a shot of apple vinegar to prevent spoilage. As I stated they do have about a pound of fondant left but I am contemplating pulling it put and let them just take the sugar water until it warms up more. Thanks all

1 - 5 of 5 Posts