Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all.

It hit 70 over the weekend so I poked into the hives and saw they were both doing most excellent! Lots of bees and plenty of fondant left. So I fed them their first sugar water of the year and closed them up. Naturally it's dropping back down to freezing again this week so I didn't mess with them too much. My question is, when should I (if at all) drop in some pollen patties? This is my first spring with the hives and not sure how to kick them off. Thanks!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Put patties on asap. I'm just south of you and had them in 3 plus weeks ago. Good job getting them thru the winter. Gotta love fondant. PM me if you need a source for wholesale fondant next winter. Id be glad to pass the info on.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
You will be feeding patties to provide food for baby bees. As the bees you want to feed are being born now, get the patties on as quick as you can.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hey fellow New Englander! Hailing from Rhode Island, but just starting out this spring. Congrats on making through one hell of a winter. I did not think it was going to end - still not giving up with this cold spell coming in.

If you don't mind, can you post what type of food you used? I am trying to plan ahead.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I was afraid I should have been giving them pollen already. I will pick some up this week. I just feed them a 1:1 sugar solution with some Honey B Healthy and a shot of apple vinegar to prevent spoilage. As I stated they do have about a pound of fondant left but I am contemplating pulling it put and let them just take the sugar water until it warms up more. Thanks all

1 - 5 of 5 Posts