Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a beet sugar plant only a hubdred miles from me and am going to call and see if they have "reject" sugar for sale cheap.

Do you see any downfall using beet sugar syrup in spring??

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
I've used beet sugar from the grocery store many times for feeding bees with no problems at all. As far as "reject" sugar, I guess it depends on why it's rejected.

You don't have a location listed. Where are you located? Seems like most of the beet sugar plants are in Western Nebraska, Eastern Wyoming or Northern Colorado.

·
Registered
764 Posts
okay, this is gonna sound really weird...but I eat a lot of canned fruit. It all has heavy sugar syrup that's left after I eat all the fruit...I was thinking about feeding this to the bees...they've got plenty of opportunities to cleanse, pretty much every day. any reason I shouldn't do this?

·
Registered
22 Posts
That Will not harm them. they will eat jelly, pop out of a discarted cans. Just fix it so they won't fall in ...with sticks or something they can light on.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Hi Branman: Well, of course we know they'll take the stuff. If it was me (but it isn't) and if I had that much syrup left from canned fruit (which I don't) I'd put some bees in a nuc and feed it to them just to see what would happen and when I did find out for certain, I'd let everyone know.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts