Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Of my six hives I have 3 alive. The dead ones went down early, no doubt because I missed the late mite buildup last fall until things got way out of hand.
I fed heavily this fall and I find myself with lots of combs full of sugar syrup honey and not very many empty combs. Now that I’m hip to Walt Wright’ spring management plans, I’m wondering how to use these full frames of not-honey effectively. Previously I would have just put a bunch on a live hive, but now I’d like to use Walt’s knowledge of swarm triggers to better advantage.
All the checkerboarding directions seem to assume you have a ton of drawn combs. What do I do with what I have?
Yours, Megan Hughes

·
Registered
40 Posts
Good question, I'm no expert on Walt's methods although I'm interested in the discussion. I may also have the same problem of sugar syrup filled frames in spring. My plan is to use them to feed my nucs and splits. I'd be interested in other ideas. I guess you might be able to extract them and discard the 'honey' as another option.

·
Super Moderator
10,456 Posts
megan, can you give a description of what you have in terms of hive body sizes, how many and what size frames contain syrup honey, how many frames are empty comb, and what your plans are for replacing the 3 losses?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have 1 deep full of “honey”, and at least 5 mediums. These are all 8 frame. I have, alive, 1 deep nuc and 2 nucs in 8 frame mediums. I just put a medium full of honey on one of the mediums today.
I’m not sure what my plans are for increase this year. I can’t decide how I feel about the deeps-are they too heavy for me to manage or not? Do I like how they work or not? Every year I have at least 1 hive with one deep and the rest mediums. Then 5 or 6 others all mediums. I suppose I will split the deep nuc at least once, split the mediums a couple times and catch a swarm or 2. I’m not dying to make honey, but maybe I will run one of these nucs for honey this yea.
One medium nuc I keep small and just outside my workroom window so I can watch it all day. It’s quite vigorous now and could produce several splits by the time of our main flow.
I usually raise my own queens, one way or another.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts