Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spring finally has come here. With temperatures reaching low fifties I am able to lay the hives on their back, pry off the bottom board and quickly doing a little cleaning between any frames jammed with dead bees or loose sugar that made its way down. I put on a new clean bottom board so the bees have a reliable bottom entrance and then I close the upper entrance. It is no longer needed. The bees will ventilate just fine here in my currently soggy high desert.

My bees are eating two to three pounds of 15% pollen patties a week and are expanding well. They have been getting patties for nearly five weeks and young bees will start coming in quantity. It appears the act of faith queen order in early January has worked out.

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thought we were last! Sorry about that. I suppose you have had no flying weather forever? The reason I can feed patties so early as January was full of flying days.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
We have had some flying weather but nothing steady. A nice day 45-50 degrees, followed by wind, rain, some snow and not getting much above freezing. Two days ago, I spotted a few coming in with a small amount of pollen so we are getting close here. J

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have not seen it but I hear reports of pollen locally. But certainly not enough to make me slow down my feeding of pollen patties! That pays too well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts