Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have lots of sugar ants and spiders and other bugs I would rather not have around my house. In the years past I've sprayed tempo around my foundation and in my eves and what not. This year I have hives less than 100 feet from where I normally spray. Is this gonna be alright to spray around th house

·
Registered
273 Posts
Whether or not you spray will have to be your call, but I will say that if you do, change the nozzle setting on your sprayer setting to a thin stream rather that a spray. Treat as little as possible (don't spray enought to run) and concentrate on crevases and active ant trails, rather than over all coverage. I would also see if you can find something less toxic to bees.

JC

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
I carefully spray the ground out a bit in a circle around my beehives to keep them from being overrun by ants. Have to reapply after a rain but it works and I have not had a bee kill. You are doing the same with your house. If you are careful about wind and overspray, I see no problem.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Tempo is some "bad" stuff. It will kill any insect that gets close to it. I had sugar ants in our old house and treated with tempo. I crawled under the house and sprayed the foundation, and all the support piers. I still had sugar ants. I called the exterminator and asked them to come out. He wanted to know what I had sprayed and I told him tempo. He said there was no need for him to come out, that tempo was as strong as anything he could use.

I am allergic to it too. I got an overexposure to some undiluted powdered tempo. Bad side effects. It's lasted for over 20 years.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts