Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a problem with fleas in the house we have a house dog and both neighbors. I have dogs outside. I assume the fleas are coming in when we let the dog out he is bringing them in. I have some Cutter backyard bug control that kills fleas ants and mosquitoes also grubs. It hooks up to your water hose and you wet the yard with it. My bee hives are about 20 feet from the yard. My queastion is can I go out to the hives at dark and close up the hive and spray my yard at dark and open the bees after the sun comes up to dry the yard? My problem is I think the bees my come out and try to drink some of the water off the grass thiere are no flowers for them to get on in the yard just the grass. I dont have to worry about drift because it goes on wet with a garden hose. Any and all recomendations would be helpfull thanx

·
Registered
869 Posts
Re: Spraying mt yard

I am having a problem with fleas in the house we have a house dog and both neighbors.
I think the fleas are coming from the neighbors, get rid of the them! ;)

Any chance you could move your hives over 2 miles just for the day?

Craig

·
Registered
2,239 Posts

your plan sounds fine-just let'em out after the yard dries. i use the granule type(for ticks) and dont close mine up. good luck,mike

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

will be ok to leave them closed up till say 12 noon the temps should only be about in the high 60s till that time.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts

they need ventilation to let out co2 and fresh air in. screen over the top frames(in place of a cover) or at least a v shaped piece stuffed in a bottom entrance and taped over the hole in the inner cover with the top propped up. the danger is they will crowd the screen and block it with the smaller screens. good luck,mike

·
Registered
81 Posts

For inside the house use 20 muletrain borax. Sprinkle it over all flooring surfaces and leave for 24 hours. After 24 hours vacuum it up.

This will kill and break the life cycle of fleas. It also kills any exoskeleton insect that crawls on it. Its really effective for ants, ****roaches, spiders, fleas, ticks, earwigs, etc.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts

I use the same stuff in my yard for mosquitoes and fleas. I would do as recommended and screen the bees in and spray in the evening. Next morning don't release them until the grass is dry. Also don't let the dogs on it until it's dry. :D

·
Registered
5,113 Posts

Boric works good. Also try diatomacious earth. Dip your dogs in Dawn dish soap.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts