Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a hive at a friends lavender farm and they want to spray when dandelions start popping. They also have a large family garden along with fruit trees. I am assuming they will spray Roundup or a like product. So, will this hurt the bees directly or just destroy the source? Should I keep the bees closed up for a couple of days? I put two hives there last year but later in the spring.

Thanks in advance.

Soapy

·
Registered
261 Posts
I would spray after dark for 2 reasons 1 Most flowers close up after dark 2 Bees will not go after a closed flower and the bees are in the hive after dark. Dandelions are a good source for bees but some people don't like them nomatter what is good for the bees Be sure the spray is dried before you let the bees out

·
Registered
939 Posts
I have the same type of neighbors. His lawn is almost a yellow coating of them. He'll try to spray them, but to no avail. They come back. Since I've called him to notify of my bees, I'd suggest they mow them down if he doesn't like them. (Time to get the mower running again anyhow). When asked why not spray them just tell them this: If they ever want some honey from you, wouldn't they like it without the pesticides included ? That's usually enough to intimidate them to mow instead.

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
Dandelions are a broadleaf. Roundup doesn't work very well on broadleaf plants. They should use something like 2,4d for broadleaf control.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I had close neighbors tell me that they would soon be spraying "brush-b-gone" which, like "roundup," is an herbicide. Takes out stuff that roundup won't hurt. I asked them if they could spray late day or perhaps a colder rainy day or whatever. I discovered that these products need to be done in the heat of the day, the hotter and sunnier the better. This was last summer and I don't think they sprayed. Either way, I decided not to worry and loose sleep over it. I am sure other neighbors, or even these folks, spray and I never know.
Robee

·
Registered
375 Posts
Maybe let them know they can use the dandelions, instead of spraying them. Use the greens for salad and the flowers for wine.

·
Registered
447 Posts
irregardless of what they spray for the dandelions, like you said, you can always lock the bees "in" for up to 3 days with a Florida-Moving-Screen or this bushfarms robber screen. That should give it time to wilt the blossoms. I would be more concerned as to the timing and the chemical they might use on the fruit trees.

RKR

1 - 10 of 10 Posts