Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. My farmer friend is raising strawberries (3acres). He likes to have my bees around, so I have 3 colonies on his farm. He tries to be cognizant about treating for pests and the chemical’s effect on the bees.

This early morning (at dawn) he called me to let me know that overnight he had to spray his strawberries for tarnished beetle which really does a number on strawberry blossoms. He closed up the entrances after everyone in the hives had gone to bed for the night. I went over and put screens on the entrances and opened up so they could cool it off. They weren’t happy.

So...my question and his is how long do we need to keep them cooped up? The literature is a bit fuzzy on the residual effects during a blossom. One publication indicated up to seven days(!). Another source said it was dose dependent on the application. I emailed my extension office and she wasn’t certain. The Bee Squad from U of M said they weren’t pesticide experts, but recommended 24 hrs before letting them out.

I wasn’t sure if the bifenthrin lingered on the blossoms or not. How fast does it degrade? Unanswered questions. Not a lot of literature except that it kills bees...

·
Registered
187 Posts
If I am not mistaken Bifin is a contact kill, So 24 hours will be more than enough time. I have 600 tomatoes planted about 50 feet from 20 hives right now and I sprayed the tomatoes late yesterday
just before dark and I did not close my bees up and have never closed them up when spraying Bifin. I just spray late in the evening

1 - 2 of 2 Posts