Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just checked my lang hive 10 days after installing the package. The queen had been released after about 4 days. I found the queen but there were also queen cells being constructed. one was about half way up in the center on one frame and the other was near the top on another frame. What does that mean. I looked for eggs but I did not see any ,but the sun was really bright and I could not see very well so that does not mean there wasn't any. Besides isn't 10 days a little soon.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I am a greenhorn here but, it doesn't make sense to me that there would be queen cells without eggs. Wouldn't there need to be an egg laid before creating a queen cell around it? If that is true then there must be eggs! Maybe you could look again when the lighting is better. I am in about the same time frame as you with my two hives. I was able to see the eggs but it is tough in the plastic foundation.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
perhaps there are eggs. If so, why would they be making supercedure cells if the queen is laying. It has only been 10 days since this package was installed. Could it be that she is just not starting fast enough for them? How would these queen cells work if there were no eggs in the hive?

·
Registered
574 Posts
it doesn't make sense to me that there would be queen cells without eggs.
The bees make a series of queen cups which look like the outer casing of an acorn. The queen lays in these and they are then developed into queen cells.
Queens cups are present almost all the time and are not an indication of swarming intentions unless they contain a larva.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I have cups throughout my hives, they constantly build them, then tear them down....always look for eggs or larvae.....

·
Registered
210 Posts
Its pretty common these days to have a new queen with a package superceded most bee companys dont have time to make sure that they are doing there job of egg laying these days so there seems to be a rash of inferior queens out there. let them replace her or order another queen.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maybe that's it. They are making 'just in case cells'. I have never heard of that but then again, I'm new. Is that a common trait with Italians? I did notice that the bottom of the one I really looked at the longest was open and had a bee sticking her head in it. Whatever that means. I guess I will stop worrying about it and check back in a week to see if I have better luck spotting eggs.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
If you purchased a package, the queen should be mated. Could be a great queen. It seems that the majority of packages want to supercede the queens.

Think about it.... 1 queen, thousands of bees. No telling how many hives were shook to get the correct amount of bees in the package. They accepted the queen but they are still all from different hives.

Queen cells in the center or top are supercedure cells as stated above. Keep checking you hive. If they queen is laying a good pattern and a lot of eggs sh's a good queen. If you are starting on foundation, she can't lay much if there aren't cells. But if she is putting eggs in cells when they are just getting formed she is a good queen.

So, if you have a good queen, you may want to move her to a very small nuc shortly after the queen cells are capped. If you have another hive, get a frame of honey/pollen and also shake in a couple of frames of house bees.

Now you have a nice new nuc with a good queen and still have the packaged hive with queen cells that will be emerging shortly.

JMHO

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
For a minimum of 21 days with a package, no baby bees are hatching. The bees often blame the queen, and start trying to supercede her. If you give the packagebees a frame of sealed brood within the first 2 weeks, it often stops the bees from trying to supercede the queen.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts