Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
6,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be doing some splitting in a remote apiary and wish to do this in one day, and also leave the splits in the same apiary.

I have read that having the split queenless hive without the queen for a period of time would be beneficial in them taking the new queen via a queen cage introduction. I wish to do the split and put the queen cage in at the same time. I heard that smoking really well helps. Anything else that could help?

I also want leave the split in the same apiary. Any words of wisdom?

Thanks.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>I have read that having the split queenless hive without the queen for a period of time would be beneficial in them taking the new queen via a queen cage introduction.

According to Jay Smith (Queen Rearing Simplified) they will know they are queenless within two hours. So split them, go to lunch and come back and put in the queens? Or take your lunch with you if it's too remote.

>I wish to do the split and put the queen cage in at the same time. I heard that smoking really well helps. Anything else that could help?

I'd still give them a little time to realize they're queenless.

>I also want leave the split in the same apiary. Any words of wisdom?

Shake in plenty of nurse bees and make sure you have some emerging brood in all the new locations and, of course, some open brood.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts