Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to split my package soon because I want two hives (for now.) I think I have enough frames of bees but I've read so much that I just need some reassurance. I would like to split into a nuc and I think I need at least 2 frames of brood, all stages, and 2 frames of honey. Does it really matter which one the queen goes in as long as both have eggs and/or less than 3 day old larva?

The reason I'm asking is I still haven't managed to spot her. If I still can't find her, I won't know for sure which hive she's in until I see which one builds queen cells. If I spot her while I'm doing this, then great, I'll put her in the nuc. She has been a great layer and the brood frames are always pretty solid. I added an extra deep last weekend and am hoping I have over 10 frames of bees by now. I might harvest a frame or two of honey this year but right now I just want to grow bees and don't want to wait too long but I don't want to do this too soon, either. I have no extra comb to give anyone because I started with all new foundation.

I would love to have two hives and a nuc before fall. I've been told there are no queens available right now in our area but hope I can grow my own. I was visited by some honey bees when preparing my hive back in February so I know there are some within flying distance somewhere.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
It might matter, because if you put her in the nuc with drawn frames and bees, it will explode quickly and might begin swarm preparations. Other than that, I dont think it matters.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It might matter, because if you put her in the nuc with drawn frames and bees, it will explode quickly and might begin swarm preparations. Other than that, I dont think it matters.
I'm still trying to wrap my head around it all. By explode quickly, how quickly? Within a week? Or do I wait longer to see? I'm still trying to go in weekly to learn what this is all about (when the weather lets me.) I won't have any extra drawn frames to give the queen room but can put the nuc into an 8 frame hive body if it turns out she's in there. She won't have any foragers to start with because they will probably all go back to the original hive, yes? Will the original hive keep working on drawing out comb even if the queen is gone?

I know I need to learn to find the 'Lady Maleficent' but so far my eyes just aren't spotting her.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
If you are splitting into eight frames and only pulling 4 frames & have no drawn frames, that gives you plenty of time to not worry about it exploding. Just stay out of the split hive for at least two weeks (as to not damage any queen cells, if the split did not contain the queen), but I would wait a little latter than that. Only the foragers will return to the original, nurse bees will stay with the larvae and eggs, & capped brood when hatched stays with the split. Guess that is why you need to be somewhat particular on the frames you choose to pull for the split. Yes, original hive will draw out the frames you put in even if the queen is gone, after taking frames for the split. Exploding can also be seen at the hives entrance. :eek:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts