Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of our hives swarmed yesterday. The swarm settled down about 20 feet from the hive location on some 3foot tall goldenrod. The goldenrod stalks could not take the weight of the bees and bent over. Most of the swarm ended up in several flattened clusters on the ground in between the plants. Therefore they were not easy to shake off or scoop up. The only equipment I had left was a nuke box, which I placed closed to the cluster in order to attract them to the dark opening. I added a little bit of lemongrass oil to the inner cover. About half of the swarm marched inside and gathered on the front of the nuke, but the swarm was too large to all fit in there. I brought the nuke box to another apiary location this morning. Later, this morning, while it was lightly raining, the rest of the swarmed bees that were on the ground disappeared.
My question, where did they go? Eventually, I will find out if the queen is in the nuke box as she'd be laying again. Let's assume that the remaining bees on the ground were queenless. Did they fly back to their old hive? Just something to muse about. Anybody willing to make an well reasoned guess?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts