Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have two hives with that look really great right now, storing good, brood good. looks like a lot of golden rod coming on in my area. with that said, assuming the winter well, i am planning to split them in the spring. can anyone give me pointers? mainly, when? i am assuming around "dandelion time". and is getting a queen that early a problem? i new and need all them help i can get!!

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
If you split it at dandelion and let the split (or the mother hive) raise its own queen, you've drawn from the gene pool of a queen that has been successful for you. If you buy a queen that early, it will likely be a southern queen which, in my opinion, would probably be perfect if you were in the south.

Wayne

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, i live in ohio. so all i really have to do is take one of the deep, brood supers and put in on a new bottom board where ever i choose and the bee take care of the rest? is the the basic idea?

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
That's the basic idea. It requires though, that both the split and the mother hive have eggs or very young brood in it. It will take 16 days for the split to make the queen, some days or weeks for her to be mated and start laying and three more weeks for her first brood to start hatching. This doesn't work well if the plan is to get a large honey crop the first year but you will be increasing your hives with some proven genetics and the new hive should go into the fall strong and with little mite problems due to the break in the brood cycle.

Wayne

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks wayne.

that gives me a lot to consider. honey production is my ultimate goal. i do understand that it may be a better idea to keep the good gynetics going that i do have. hhhmmmm.

the bees i started with were two packages of carni's that so for i have pulled about 150lbs off of so for, with more to come this summer, so (i think atleast) they are good producing bees.

no sense in putting the cart ahead of the horse, its not even cold yet!

thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.