Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I combined two small colonies this spring because one was queenless and I figured even if they tried to make a new queen, she wouldn't get mated properly due to lack of drones. now I want to split back out to get back to two colonies. If I just take one of the two deeps and put it on a new bottom board (inches away), close the entrances of both (original and new), figure out which is queenless (like MP video shows), can I put a new queen in the queenless one, and hope that being confined for a few days will allow everyone to reorient? sorry if this has been asked and answered a thousand times, but I couldn't find the right answer by searching. basically, I want to split one colony into two adjacent hives and have all bees know which one is home. plus adding a new queen of course. Thanks!

·
Registered
535 Posts
I do it slightly different. Pull three frames of brood and nurse bees in a nuc. Intraduce the queen to them. There won't be any problem with acceptance. Once she's laying add a frame of capped brood from the other hive. Do this every week or ten days until you get where you want to be.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts