Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure my question is addressed somewhere else, but I can not find a specific answer so here it goes

I made up 4 nuc's yesterday, taking 3 frames of bees, brood, eggs, etc and placing them into a nuc box with 2 frames of drawn comb. I didn't want to mess with moving them 3 miles so I just sealed them up, put a feeder on top and plan on opening up the nuc's in a few days

Anyone see issues with this? How long should I let them think about thing's before letting them go? I was think 3 day's.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I've never sealed up a split, or moved them more than a few feet unless they where going to live somewhere else.

I know forage aged bees will fly back, so I give an extra frame or two of shook bees to the split and check back in a couple of days. I also make the entrance pretty small until they have numbers enough to protect what they have though.

You can move whole thing and do a fly-back split as well

·
Registered
11 Posts
They are going to shrink a lot as workers go back to the original colony. Nurses will stay though, but hives will be light. Check them the next day or so after opening and shake in some more nurse bees off of brood frames. This should fill out the missing populations and give those nucs the strength they need.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They are going to shrink a lot as workers go back to the original colony. Nurses will stay though, but hives will be light. Check them the next day or so after opening and shake in some more nurse bees off of brood frames. This should fill out the missing populations and give those nucs the strength they need.
I should have said that I also shook 2 frames of bees as well and will again in a week.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I am sure my question is addressed somewhere else, but I can not find a specific answer so here it goes

I made up 4 nuc's yesterday, taking 3 frames of bees, brood, eggs, etc and placing them into a nuc box with 2 frames of drawn comb. I didn't want to mess with moving them 3 miles so I just sealed them up, put a feeder on top and plan on opening up the nuc's in a few days
I am in North Georgia and it seems to be a bit early to be doing a split. Drones have not emerged yet. What were you looking at to decide to split them?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am in North Georgia and it seems to be a bit early to be doing a split. Drones have not emerged yet. What were you looking at to decide to split them?
I have drones and drone cells all over the place here. Looks to me like your altitude is different than mine. I am at almost sea level.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts