Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
We started this year with 2 nucs of carnies (beginner bee keeps) installed in 8 frame hives April 4th. They are both very strong with 3+ frames of brood. We added second 8 frame deep boxes the second week, and left them alone for a few weeks. I'm going to check them again this weekend. Might it be possible to split these hives in the near future? The genetics look really good to us. Facebook users can see our last hive inspection here: https://www.facebook.com/102731931395746/videos/pcb.113224140346525/674963816655581/?type=3&theater
Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
584 Posts
Hi Joe. You have them a second box a bit too early. Try to keep them tight in the beginning. Package population declines for three weeks after queen is released and then starts growing again. They may well he fine, depending on your temps, but be prepared to adjust when you inspect.
As for splitting, when do you normally have summer dearth and when is first frost in your area?

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Amibusiness, he wrote they started as nucleus’. In most cases it is better to be ahead of the bees than behind them:eek: Let the population of bees & what’s in the frames help you decide when you can split them. They should be able to donate a few frames for a split at some point soon, it’s only the end of April.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
3,470 Posts
Hello,
We started this year with 2 nucs of carnies (beginner bee keeps) installed in 8 frame hives April 4th. They are both very strong with 3+ frames of brood. We added second 8 frame deep boxes the second week, and left them alone for a few weeks. I'm going to check them again this weekend. Might it be possible to split these hives in the near future? The genetics look really good to us. Facebook users can see our last hive inspection here: https://www.facebook.com/102731931395746/videos/pcb.113224140346525/674963816655581/?type=3&theater
Thanks,
Joe
Joel,
I would want to raise a queen during a major nectar flow, the timing of the flow would drive me more than the number of brood frames.
I have had 3 10 frame deeps of bees in one hive, so Most of an 8 frame and some in the second is not , "biggie size" yet IMO.

Not sure what the bloom there is, here I would never split until full Dandelion bloom.

with 2 hives you can also make a 3rd, take 2 frames from each, so you also have that option.

the other consideration is you should try to get all your hives big enough and with enough stores to make the winter there.
with This year NUCs, I would think you "CAN" split, try to do it during a major flow and I would think April is a bit early.

If you like the "carnies" a faster option, and less challenge for a beginner, would be to reach back to the place you got the NUCs from order 2 Queens of the same kind, for June 1 delivery -/ + a week. the day they arrive Split your hives, wait 2 ish hours, add the queen to the non queen half.
the queens run $40 ish so unless you are funds challenged, let the same team raise you a couple queens and you get the next 2 hives ready.

I would want 2 deeps and a medium or 3 deeps each for this year. I use 2 8 deep and 1 medium for wintering here , but there,, it WILL be different, consult some locals. I offered 3 deeps as an option, if you are split happy , 3 deeps in the spring has "options" for a 3 way 8 frame split, 4 way 6 frame split, etc.

Think about where you want to be by fall and by next spring and incrementally get to that spot.
Do the parts you can, and keep learning.

GG

·
Registered
799 Posts
I wouldn't consider a colony mature enough to split until it has 8-10 frames of brood. But I can't help but wonder: This is your first bees. Do you have practical experience with swarm management? Do you have enough equipment to manage more colonies? Do you have drawn comb supply, which is totally different than foundation? Are you able to properly super a production colony with enough equipment, knowing that foundation is not drawn comb. Can you manage mites? Do you know how to prepare colonies for winter? My point is only that you haven't experienced all the basics are you ready for more? If yes, have at it. Not to discourage you I just want you to be prepared for success, not disappointment.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,881 Posts
GG, note that Little Joe is in Durham, NC. I am about 150 miles north of him and started my first splits in late March. Our flow is over by mid June so he needs to do what he wants to do, now. While you guys and gals in the north are still making snowmen, those of us south of the Mason Dixon are working on our suntans (farmer tans).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts