Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 20 splits I made that will be queen right this week (should be) my attempt at using the mini matting nucs was a cat 5 failure so until I get a grasp on them I was considering just letting the newly mates queens that take lay for about a week then harvesting them and re introducing another virgin a few days later. Is this an acceptable method. Can it be sustainable for a few cycles without having to add many bees. These are five frame nucs in ten frame deep colonies.

·
Registered
11,869 Posts
Yes it is sustainable and in fact long time ago that is how queens were raised commercially. You may want to leave the queens laying for 2 - 3 weeks before caging to ensure population is maintained, but also these hives can explode, so use you judgement about how long to let them lay.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it is sustainable and in fact long time ago that is how queens were raised commercially. You may want to leave the queens laying for 2 - 3 weeks before caging to ensure population is maintained, but also these hives can explode, so use you judgement about how long to let them lay.
Good deal thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts