Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have I doomed my bees? I did this because I just had surgery last week and am not supposed to be outside.

Two weeks before surgery I split my year old hive. All seemed to be doing well when I peeked on return from hospital. Yesterday neighbor told me of small (500 +-) bees on his fence. I wobbled out and got them in the only super I had left.

This am there was a huge swarm that landed in same neighbors yard. I got them home by using sugar water and the same box as yesterday but it barely held them all. Because of my heath issues and because hubby is out of town, I used newspaper to add them to newly split hive.

Have I killed my bees?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
Hey, I think you did great considering your circumstances.
I theorize that your split made multiple queen cells and swarmed twice. I'm betting both swarms had queens. Newspaper combining them will not kill them off, no, but they may swarm again, since they might be having 2 young queens. If not, then one queen will be dispatched and they won't swarm. Which ever way it works out, they'll be OK, you just may not have as many bees if they do swarm. I think you should stay inside and let your bees figure it all out. Take care of your health and when you are more able you can peek in and see what's up. Good luck and hope you make a speedy recovery to full health from your surgery.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I would not think you have doomed your bees. have you considered reaching out to the local bee clubs for some assistance? I have met several of the Botetourt members. They are good gpup of people.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, thank you, thank you! RayMarler, I would have been "good" and left them to sort it out...I think...but I live in a subdivision. I am legal but my neighbor while very nice, is the parent of a young child and I was afraid to leave them in his yard, even for a bit. To make sure I understand, it was the old hive that swarmed. Does that mean it's probably my old queen I put into the new hive?
As for my health I had a tumor removed that we did not know status of until surgery and it was benign. So I'm happy as a lark and will be good as new when stitches are out...if I behave! Thank you so very, very much.

tsmullins, thank you! You know where the road of good intention leads to...and I've been intending to join a group since we got our girls. I just need to do it when I'm not a gimp any more.

Again, thank you both so much. Blessings!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts