Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kind of having a crazy year here in Northern Idaho. It is much warmer than it usually is(50-65's daytime temp). I pulled open a hive this morning to check out what is going on and to my surprise I have a bunch of drone brood, but I don't see any out and about just yet. Any answers on the right temp to start doing splits without providing a queen on my part? My hives have grown amazingly quick this spring as we have a record no snow year here and are about the size I would normally split and have already added supers to free up some space.

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
I'd wait just a bit. I've never had great success with early splits. Much better when I have lot's of pollen coming in. I also have better success with late splits although it's probably because I have the season "in control". I know the temps, the food sources, the hive strength, etc.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Well, the dandelions are blooming here, but we've had some crazy weather this year so far, rain a day or 2 and in the mid 50's then a few days of great weather, temps in the 70's, then another couple days of rain. This afternoon there is suppose to be a few showers and a high of 54, tomorrow clear and a high of 64 and Wednesday a high of 72. The rain wont be back til the next Monday they are saying. I would like to do a split on a couple of my stronger hives, but what temp can I do it at? Right now it's only 50 outside, I wont open my hives at that low, even if they are flying, but I'd like to get into a couple splits this week. My days off are Thurs & Fri, suppose to be 73 and 72. Maybe I can hold off til then.

Craig

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
I think you can hold off. If the bees are flying and the dandelions are blooming, you have enough warmth and food for the splits to survive.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
Batman...
Yes, I say do your splits. I've been watching the weather as well, I have queens coming tomorrow.

This week looks good for splits. We'll get more showers I'm sure, but I think this is about the last of the colder weather, it's time of year for a bit warmer with showers for may flowers. :D Queens won't be ready to mate for a couple weeks to 3 weeks after you do your split, I'm sure weather will be warmer with enough sunshine for queens to mate, and by then it'll be beginning of blackberry bloom. I'm going to start some splits this week myself during the warmth. Look out for swarm cells, I'm expecting swarm calls this week with the sunshine forecast.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Looks like spring hasn't fully shown itself here in the Northern Rockies and hopefully you didn't make splits back in March. I never seem to go by temperature for splits as we always seem to get a nice warm week in March or even February, and then another dose of winter in April. Looks like Idaho Falls has some flurries in the forecast tomorrow. Its been pretty cold here the last week, albeit the buttercups and crocuses are going and pollen is coming in and my hives produced drones about when yours did...it sure is far from queen rearing or splitting time here. My key indicator is when the arrow leaf balsam root are in full bloom, usually first week of May, although even then I've seen a week of weather in the 40's and rain snow mix. Better not to rush on the splits, although Idaho Falls is probably a bit ahead of Montana.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
Yea, keep in mind, Me and Batman are in California. Dandies are going to seed already as well as blooming, yellow clover is blooming in my pasture.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Ray,

How big is your pasture with the yellow clover? How many hives are on it too? My dad has 5 acres and I currently have 1.5 hives up there. I was thinking about ordering some seed and maybe trying to bring an acre or 2 up with some sweet clover.

Thanks,
Craig

1 - 9 of 9 Posts