Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a newbee who started with one package on April 26.

On June 14, I tried to evenly split my only colony. I checked after 2 days and split B had several queen cells centered on a comb. There were no queen cells on the bottoms of any combs in either split A or split B.

Split Q had a much larger field force and so I switched hive positions to try to equalize. It worked too well and split B got most of the field force. I assumed that would be alright since Q was the queen right hive and would keep building up while B was waiting for their new queen (which it has been doing).

On 6/29, I posted because split B was putting on an awesome display that I hoped signified a mating flight of their new queen. Split B swarmed the next day. Why would that happen if the established queen was in split Q? Would B swarm with a virgin queen just because of the large population? Would they swarm without leaving a queen with the population that remaining behind?

Not knowing, I have assumed (hoped) there would still be a new queen in split B, despite the swarm. So until yesterday, I did not intrude because I keep reading that getting in the hive can make the bees unhappy with a new queen. Yesterday, I checked the bottom of a box and there were swarm cells with at least one being open. Why would a queen-less hive create swarm cells? I did not see them on day two of the split when I saw the queen cells located in the center of the comb.

Split Q, during all this time, has been building up nicely. And I am still hopeful that I will see brood in split B in a few weeks, but I am trying to understand what happened.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Sometimes they swarm no matter what we do because they're in the swarm mode. Was there still a queen cell (after they swarmed) in the split? Usually the queen from the open cell was the one that went with the swarm and the remaining virgins either fight it out, the first one kills the rest, or after swarms will leave as the virgins emerge. The large population and lack of space will lead to swarming. If they have a "honey cap" blocking upward expansion they think they are out of room even though there may be empty supers on top.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts