Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have a hive that I want to split And moved the new hive a few mile away, I haven't checked the brood box as yet for queen cells but my bee numbers have every frame full in the super including a thick bunch of bees under the lid and in the afternoon they ball up under the entrance and have just started to get big numbers on one side of the entrance as well, I have ordered a new Queen which is on its way and should be here by Wednesday, I am concerned they might swarm between now and Wednesday? Can I do a split now and leave one hive queen less until Wednesday? Is it best to put the existing queen in the new box which will go onto another property or leave the new box in place of the existing hive and take the existing hive away?
Sorry for the long message cheers

·
Registered
520 Posts
If you have a new queen coming, take 2 or 3 frames of capped brood along with bees on those frames and put in a new box, they will accept the new queen better if they have no queen for a couple days. Leave old queen in old box. if you didn't get a new queen, you would take old queen with couple frames brood and move her to new box, as long as there is a frame of eggs and day old larvae in old box, they will make a new queen and you would not have to buy one.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
If you do it that way make sure you check the frames real good for queen cells before you introduce the new queen. They normally won't accept and new queen once they start their own queen cells.

On a different note. I thought you guys were winding down your season? Isn't it fall in your part of the world? How late in the year can you guys make splits. Just wondering. I find it fascinating how your seasons are just opposite of ours.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys I will do the split Tuesday the queen arrives on Thursday and so should I check for queen cells when I put in new queen and remove them?
Thanks

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Is it summer time there now?
I think it is better if you removed the qcs in advance before putting in the new queen.
They may think there is still a qc and try to kill your new queen. So the strategy is to
get rid of all the qcs before the new queen arrived. Make them think there is no more option but
to accept the new queen. It is better if you just take the brood frames without the eggs or larvae on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts