Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So in my last inspection of one hive, I noticed several uncapped queen swarm cells with eggs in them. Bees were overflowing from this double deep in the middle of the day with foragers out, so I decided to swarm control split on the spot. The queen is in one supered deep (spotted) and the swarm cells in another deep with about 9 frames of nurse bees and 5 frames of brood (emerging and capped mostly and a few larvae) with two packed frames of pollen and honey and entrance reduced to keep robbers out. Slapped on a little pollen patty and a little baggie of syrup for good measure.

Checked about 5 days later and the queen cells (about 5 of them) are almost completely full of royal jelly and nearly ready to be capped and about 7 frames of nurse bees remain. They are chowing slowly on the pollen patty and the syrup baggie is empty.

We've had a really warm January-March, so we have bloom and are really close to the dandelion and spring fruit tree flow.

Now the weather has taken a turn for the colder for the next few days. We are looking at chances of snow/ rain and colder temps with ~mid 20s at night, 50's during the day. Lots of wind, too. Are they going to be warm enough?

They now have a quit box added on top and edges duct taped, but I am wondering if I should add a piece of plywood to the top of the old hive so the bees can't get through and place the new split on top for added warmth or if I should recombine or stay the course? Or something else?

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
535 Posts
I suspect they'll be just fine. My big concern is do you have drones flying there yet. I don't here but I have a lot of capped drone brood.

All of the early queens I have raised ( and there have been several ) failed before fall. Most started laying drones after a month or three. A sure sign they didn't get mated well. My bees won't supersede a drone layer.

I'd keep an eye on her assuming she makes it back and starts laying.

Woody Roberts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are drones in my apiary. All hives have them. They have been there for over a month. Weird, warm weather!

Hopefully some of the lovely dark drones from my best hives will be around when her time comes. :)

·
Registered
535 Posts
Yep. I winter a few hives every year in single deeps. We rarely get much below 0 but will get close to it pretty often.
I don't wrap my hives. They look in the winter just like they do in the summer. I'm sure I'll lose one some winter but I haven't yet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts