Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did our first split. We grabbed two full brood frames with bees and a frame that was mostly honey, and also pretty full of bees, and put it in a 5 frame nuc with two frames of foundation. We had bought a queen and put her candy cage in there on a frame and they have released her.

My question is there's really no activity, there are plenty of bees inside but no foraging, no signs of any guards being established. I'm wondering if I could shake some more bees from the donor hive, down into the nuc from one of the other two hives, or even replace one of the foundation only frames for another frame of brood, and if doing so would cause those bees to attack the queen in the nuc as they were never "introduced" to her for the couple of days it took for them to release her from her candy cage?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Maybe I'm worried about nothing and to start seeing foraging and guard type activity takes it a while. As night approaches we do see bees coming out and going back in but not too many. There are also a few dead ones on the bottom screen board so nobody is housekeeping yet. The ones in there are busily attending to the frames though.

Joe

·
Registered
583 Posts
being that you placed them in a nuc Im assuming the doner hive is in the original location. the older bees went back to there hive which they were taken from so all the bees you have in the nuc are younger it may take a day or so for them to get started.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have a nuc that I built up to 3 5 frame mediums that I let get a little ahead of me. I was inspecting and found queen cells with eggs so I found the queen and moved her with a couple frames of brood into another nuc box. I gave them a frame with pollen/honey and two frames of foundation. After about 5 days I opened it up to see how things were going (I hadn't seen much activity at the entrance) I found they had drawn out both frames of foundation, one was mostly full of honey (I guess some forging was going on) and the other was wall to wall eggs. Seriously I would have had to look hard to find a single cell that did not have an egg in it one that frame. So despite not seeing much activity they apparently are doing just fine so I gave them another 5 frames of foundation to work on. The nuc I took the queen from know has 6-8 big fat queen cells (still open as of yesterday) so I'll probably split that into another 2-3 nucs and see how they do.

So basically I'm saying the same thing Frak was, just going you my personal experience. Lots of young bees means they may not venture out as much at first but that doesn't mean they are not working.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
The bees on a honey frame pretty much will leave a nuc.
I also think you are fine as you are. Keep that entrance screened and small, robbing is the biggest threat. If you want the nuc to reach critical mass and grow faster, safest is adding a bee free frame of emerging brood. Next is shaking the bees off a brood frame outside the nuc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts