Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a hive of NWC come out of out winter really strong with a very high population. The weather here in SW Pennsylvania has been very warm lately and continues to look that way. I was able to check my hives this weekend and saw the bees began building about 3-5 swarm cells (empty). I decided to split the colony that day for no other reason than I had the time to do it. I can't find any NWC queens out there in April. I can wait for the colony to raise one on their own, but would rather save the time buying one. Anyone know of any NWC queens available in April?

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Ray Olivarez has queens in April, I've used his queens in the past and thought they were a good product. He's saying queens available in April, might try him out...
http://www.ohbees.com/products.php

cut and paste from the above link...
* OHB has three sources for Instrumentally Inseminated Breeder Queens: Strachan Apiaries "New World Carniolan", Latshaw Apiaries "Karnica", Glenn Apiaries "Carniolan x VSH"
* Carniolans are known for their winter hardiness, rapid spring build-up and great honey production.
* Carniolans show great resistance to tracheal mites and are great comb builders.
* The queens we produce from these breeders are open mated with all of our stock. These queens have performed well in all areas and we are confident that you will be pleased.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Have used his queens as well, very good stock. Problem is, the shipping cost is considerable for just one queen or even a few. It may be more efficient to have the hive make their own with "local genes". Have done so with pretty good results. OMTCW

1 - 5 of 5 Posts