Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a hive of Russians that were hived from a package last June. I have had sugar on them all winter and checked them yesterday. They are in two deep hive bodies and both are full of honey pollen and brood. There is not much room for expansion. I am considering splitting them, what is the opinion of the forum. I am either going to have to split or start adding suppers.

·
Registered
545 Posts
It depends if you want another hive or you want to try to get them to produce more honey. You could split them and add a new queen then re-combine right before the main flow. I think that its called a cut down/recombine split? Someone correct me if im wrong.

You basically take all the capped brood and put it in a hive to the side pretty much touching the old hive (leave the old queen on the original stand). You add a new queen to that hive. Add another box to the parent colony. Right before the main flow put the box with the new queen back on the parent hive separated with newspaper and the new queen should kill the old. What im not sure about is if you transfer some or most of the nurse bees. Input anyone??

JoeMcc

1 - 4 of 4 Posts