Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to make two splits today. Only made one because I could not locate the queen in the other.The one we split had a marked queen. The queens have been purchased a while(got them from a friend) and tommorrow will probably be the last day I will be able to attempt the split, I rotate back to 4-12 days starting monday, don,t think she will make it that long.
Not only delima of the day. Remember I had the bees visiting my neighbors bird bath. Well I moved them to the bottom about forty yards yesterday. Obviously it wasn't far enough alot of field bees were retuning to the old site and just flying around angry and collecting on fixtures. Glad I was home I don't know how big a mess it would have become-remember the neighbor-and they were beginning to spread out in my yard. Put a hive back in the spot. It was amazing for a newbee to see how quick they settled down and starting marching into the hive.
Live and learn I guess!!! Any advice appreciated.

·
Registered
238 Posts
when moving hives it is advisable to move them early morning or late evening,place leafy branch or grass in front of entrance so they will reorient. it is best to move less than three (3) feet or more than three (3) miles.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Margot, they remember where home is. If they're moved more than 2-3 miles they will re-orient with local topography and learn it anew but if you don't move them far enough they just go back to where they started. Some people try to force them to re-orient by placing a branch in front of the entrance. It don't work.

Hawk

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yup! I attemped a split from 2 hives. Sprayed the frames of bees with Honey Bee Healthy and closed the entrance with grass. 2 days later none where in the hive, just a box of frames. I didn't move them but 8 feet away. You can't force mother nature to your will.
- Tim
( got my 1st swarm now though!)

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>Obviously it wasn't far enough alot of field bees were retuning to the old site and just flying around angry and collecting on fixtures.

They are NOT angry. They are confused. You need to learn the difference. You HAVE to trigger reorientation in order to get bees to move and even then some of the field bees will have to circle larger and larger circles from the old location until they find the new one.

Things to trigger reorientation are a branch in front of the entrance that they have to fly through, confining them for 72 hours OR move them more than 2 miles. You can't move them two feet without a lot of confused bees circling.

If you really want you can put an empty box at the old location every afternoon and move it to the new location (next to it) every night after dark and put a branch in front of the box a the new location until you move it back that afternoon to the old location. It won't take but two or three days until they all are going to the new location. If you don't put any equipment at the old location, they will adjust sooner, but will be more bees circling for longer.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input. Yes, angry was not the correct word. I had them totally confused. I hope I have made a few corrections from everyones advice. It has definitely been a learning experience and the Bees have not been the only one confused.
What mixture of suryp should I feed to draw comb and for how long? What should I feed (mixture) after the comb is drawn?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
In SC now there should be a nectar flow. That means there's no need to feed. If you're feeding your new splits to encourage drawing comb, remember that you're just being a nice guy. Collecting nectar is actually they're job. I would sit and watch them do it. Feed to prevent starvation or drawing comb in early spring before the flow.

Just one opinion.

Hawk

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Our flow is basically over now. I understand there will be a minor flow later in the fall,but everything usually finishes in June. If anyone in SC can tell me different, please let me know. (I am looking for some soybean for later but no luck.)
Was able to make second split.

·
Registered
154 Posts
sc-bee, you're right , for most of us in SC the flow is over. I've already pulled and extracted everything I expect to get this year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts