Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

First year BeeKeeper and first time poster :)

I currently have 3 fullsize hives. I am located in North Texas so we are currently in a dearth.

On Jun 20th I split my 3 hives (2 frames of eggs/brood and 2 frames of food for each) the week after harvesting honey. On the 21st I put in mated VSH queens. I checked the hives 8 days later and found 2 of 3 queens. The 3rd hive I could see the queen was released but found no eggs and found 3 emergency queen cells that were capped. Fast forward to 7 days ago and I actually witnessed a queen fly into the hive! I was very excited about this. So this morning I checked the hive and found no eggs/brood and no queen.

My question is what should I do at this point? If the queen took another mating flight and didn't make it back should I throw another frame of eggs in and let the bees try again or would it be better to order a queen? I love the idea of letting the bees make a queen but this dearth is rough. We are hitting 100F almost everyday and the dragonflies are everywhere. Are drone populations bad during a dearth?

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,522 Posts
Hi sjordan,
welcome to the forum

june 20 split, expecting eggs/larvae july 16 is a bit early, 30-40 days is a good guess. IF you seen a queen land that is a good sign, A) she hatched and B) she can fly and return.
A frame of eggs/larvae is fine to add, and offer a second queen rearing option.
I would think in 8-10 days you have eggs and larvae.

If derth then perhaps give a bit of syrup, or a frame of stores from a stronger hive, if you have it.

shade/ventilation in the 100 degree days is helpful, they do need a water source as well.

GG

·
Registered
306 Posts
Give it a week and check back. Won’t hurt to add a frame of brood, but make the visit very brief if you do, as minimal disturbance during this time is highly recommended.

For me, the first egg check is 30 days from when she was an egg. Let’s be conservative and say she was an egg on June 20. Emerged on about 6th of July. 2 weeks from emergence to see eggs would be 20 July, so likely a bit early. Sometimes, even at the 2 week point, it is hard for me to find eggs as there may only be a few and laid in a scarce pattern.

I’m in East TX, feeding a split right now is definitely recommended.

Ryan

Edit: I forgot to say welcome to Beesource - you have come to a great place for information and best of luck during your first season! When you make mistakes, don’t be too hard on yourself! 👍

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
shade/ventilation in the 100 degree days is helpful, they do need a water source as well.

GG

Yes, I have put some shade on all my hives. And the bees have access to a few ponds that are all 500-700ft away. I also see them in my chickens waterer and gooses kids pool ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update:

I opened the hive Saturday to give them a frame of brood. During my check I actually found a small patch of eggs (prob 50) and was really surprised by this. I quickly located a queen right after that! So my first successful mated queen :)

·
Premium Member
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
It is a huge rush to see eggs and larvae for the first time in a split. Even though I have made many, I still get the tingle. Congratulation on your first mated queen and and the first step towards becoming a sustainable apiary.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts