Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my goals for 2014 is to learn how to do a split. I have read and read about it. I am building 5 frame Nucs for my splits. I understand the following.
1. You put one frame of eggs with a swarm cell or cells
2. 2 frames of capped brood
3. 2 frames of honey
The question I have is I am running deeps for the brood chamber. Will I have honey in the outside frames of the deep or will all frames be brood. If I don't have honey and pollen in the outside frames to transfer do I use a super frame with honey in my deep nuc or do I just put frames with foundation and feed feed feed ?

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
You should have frames with honey on the outer frames in be brood boxes. but that frame of honey does not have to be a frame of only honey. for example if you have 3 frames with brood in various stages that are 2/3 brood and 1/3 honey than you have two frames of brood, and one of honey. It is not necessary to have a swarm cell on a frame or any queen cell, as long as you have eggs the bees will make a queen. I actually prefer to move the queen over to the split, and allow the original colony to make the new queen. The original colony has the better resources, and the established laying queen will build the nuc much faster. remember you are looking at 6 weeks or more for a queen to develop , be bred and begin laying. I have 50 hives that I cam pull brood from to help establish my hives through the re-queening process. if you have only one hive it may be a better option to purchase a bred queen for your first split.

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
Read the material at mdasplitter.com while you are waiting for spring and hopefully listen to the lecture. Works well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts