Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have one have and it looks like it overwintered well. My plan is to split the hive this spring if it contiunes to look strong. I've seen on other posts that putting a tree branch in front of the split hive gives the bee an orientation mark and helps to prevent them from drifting back to the original hive (if the hive is split and then kept in the same bee yard). Will this really work or is it best to move it a few miles away, wait a few weeks then move it back. Obviously if the tree branch method is as successful as moving the hive 2 miles I'll opt for the tree branch. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
stuffing grass in the entrance so they have to go through it works well,also. the idea is to slow them down enough so that they notice something has changed and reorient. putting the new hive (with brood frames and no queen) in the old location will get more older field bees to stay and help them out. good luck,mike

·
Registered
355 Posts
i split two hives last year and set them within 10 feet of the original hives. i just made sure to get alot of brood and bees in the new split. then i shook some extra bees off a few frames of brood from the original hive also. just remember that the field bees brought to the new split will return to the oringinal hive location so give them plenty of young bees. i had no problems doing splits this way.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the insight. Another quick question: When I do split I plan on introducing a new queen. I'm assuming I would put her in the split the same day (in her cage) and let her eat her way out....just like with a package...is this correct?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
use 2 or 3 frames with open brood, covered with bees(look close for the queen,) and a couple frames of honey. the nurse bees on the brood frames will release the queen, just like a package. make up your split in the AM and add the queen cage in the PM. good luck,mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts