Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started again this spring with 2 new packages in April. One is a 3# package that has really taken off with the stores and drawn comb from last winters deadout.
12 days ago I was doing an inspection. The hive had filled 2, 10 frame medium boxes to the brim. I thought either add a new box or make a split. I decided to split. I took 3 frames of brood, eggs and larvae in various stages. All the nurse bees on those frames. 2 Frames of honey and pollen. I also shook a frame of bees in. I then filled the remainder with drawn comb frames.
The capped brood has been hatching and orienting in front of the hive.

How long before looking for queen cells?
Anyone ever tried this?

ANY input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
370 Posts
The queenless half of your split should have a virgin hatching today. With a little luck you should have eggs in another week or two.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the reply.
That would be so great!
Should I inspect the new split? Or leave them alone to do their thing?

·
Registered
641 Posts
My queens emerged back on 06/03. I've taken a peek twice since making the splits. How else was I going to learn? I learned a lot the first time, and a little more the second. First, I now know from experience what a cell looks like after a queen has emerged, and while she emerges, and what a cell looks like when the occupant has been dispatched. It is pretty cool to see just how much smaller a virgin queen is. I also got to hear piping as the virgin sounded out her competitors. Second, I learned to keep in mind that unmated queens are capable of flying just as well as workers. I saw this (almost) happen last week. I had the lid off and was pulling a frame from the center of the nuc when I looked at the top edge of the box and saw the queen in takeoff stance. So, I hovered my hand over her and she decided to go back down. I decided to leave the nuc alone for a couple of weeks after that :)

·
Registered
370 Posts
Thank you for the reply.
That would be so great!
Not sure what the pros would say but I can relate to what chemguy says about learning via experience. It would probably be good for your experience base to see what's happening in there and to verify that you did in fact have queen cells. That said, today is your pivotal day for hatching, might have been yesterday, could be tomorrow. If possible I would probably wait till
Saturday to minimize the chance of damaging a QC. Because they stick out from the frame a bit, it's very easy to damage a cell pulling the frames. Saturday should put you on the safer side of emergence.

Note: It sounds like you probably have a fair number of bees in the split, virgins are quite a bit smaller and faster than what you are accustomed to looking for in a queen. She will be difficult to spot, if you don't see her, I wouldn't panic. Look closely at the queen cells, it's fascinating, you'll probably see one with a hinged flap open on the bottom, others you'll see a tear or hole on the side where the first virgin out dispatched the other cells.

Best of luck, hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took a quick peek in the split today. I pulled a frame from the brood nest and there she was! A beautiful fat, dark, extended abdomen queen! What a great sight!

Now the mystery...She looks mated to me. Ive seen virgin queens and know how they look different with their slender abdomen and smaller size. Going over my math... I did the split 14 days ago (ignore my date in the first post). Is it possible she would be mated already?

·
Registered
370 Posts
I doubt it very much, she would have to have hardened and mated within 48 hours of emerging. Is it possible that you moved the original queen when you did the split? I'd probably look at the parent colony to see if there is evidence of a laying queen (eggs & larvae) there. If the original hive has uncapped brood that will confirm you are still OK there.

I think you just need to wait another week or two for the new queen you saw to get mated and start laying. Plug your split date in as the graft date on this calendar, it's proven to be a very reliable timing predictor for me.

http://www.thebeeyard.org/queen-rearing-calendar/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts