Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
May sound dumb,when do you split hives for more bees.
I've always split when I felt they was crowded,But then I've heard it's better after the flow.
What are some of your time frames on this?Mark,,,,,

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
I do my splits when the apples start blooming. Lot's going on around that time and I usually have good success. After that, I split any time it's warm and the hive is strong enough.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,192 Posts
Some of this depends on your current goals. Do you just want more bee? Do you want bees and honey? Do you have some time to spend babying them? A split before the flow gives them plenty of resources to build up on and you don't have to be feeding all the time, but you'll get less honey (unless they were going to swarm anyway...). A split after the flow has the advantage of getting a crop in first, but then, depending on your climate and the weather that year, they may require feeding and then babying to make sure they don't get robbed being fed in a dearth. This can be time consuming. If you live somewhere there is a fairly consistent flow of some kind all summer, then after the main flow may not cost you a lot of work and may work very well.

·
Registered
623 Posts
my question is : if you split just before OR just as the flow starts...wouldnt it do well for honey production ? im thinking of doing splits here (zone 6B) in the middle of next week IF it wouldnt prevent us from getting a surplus of Honey.

Can anyone give us some insight on whether to go ahead and do it or wait ? i would like to sell some nucs as well as get a descent crop of honey.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts