Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took out 4 frames from my strong hive and put into a 5 frame nuc last Monday 3/31... I waited until yesterday 4/9 so almost ten days to see if new queen cells had been created. The nuc had created about 8 queen cells so I split the 2 frames with 4 queen cells into 2 seperate nucs. How long should it take for a queen to emerge in each nuc is it 17 days? How long after the virgin queen emerges does she go mate? Lastly, about how long before she should start laying? Anybody have rough breakdown of the timeline?

·
Registered
6,828 Posts
12 days after a split the queens will be emerging, most times. It can vary by a day.
10 to 14 days after emergence, you will see eggs. Sometimes it takes 21 days.
If it takes longer than 21 days, I count it a loss and start over.

·
Banned
7,861 Posts
How long after the virgin queen emerges does she go mate?
About 7 days. Then another 7 days before you will see eggs for a successful mate. If you don't see
a virgin in the hive for 3 consecutive days then she is gone.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
12 days after a split the queens will be emerging, most times. It can vary by a day.
10 to 14 days after emergence, you will see eggs. Sometimes it takes 21 days.
If it takes longer than 21 days, I count it a loss and start over.
Okay so after the virgin hatches she has about 21 days to mate and start laying?? That was part I wasn't sure about....

·
Registered
535 Posts
If you google Queen calendar generator. I like the one at the Bee yard Put in your grafting date which is the same day you made the split and it will tell you what days to expect what.
I nearly always have eggs a week or so before deadline.

Before I found this site I always wrote the date on top of the nuc and would always have eggs and sometimes larva at 30 days except once. It took about 33 days.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you google Queen calendar generator. I like the one at the Bee yard Put in your grafting date which is the same day you made the split and it will tell you what days to expect what.
I nearly always have eggs a week or so before deadline.

Before I found this site I always wrote the date on top of the nuc and would always have eggs and sometimes larva at 30 days except once. It took about 33 days.
Thanks for help :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts