Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 questions.

1.) If I made a split and put frames with swarm cells in the split that doesn't have a queen would the split swarm afterwards?

2.) If I made a split and put frames with swarm cells in the split that has old queen in it will the split swarm afterwards ?

We made a split yesterday and for the life of us could not find the queen. So one of the above scenarios would happen to us. Just wondering :)

thank You.

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
They won't necessarily swarm in your first question. But don't count it out. It seems to be all in the timing. Early on, they'll stay put. Later on, maybe not. Same for the second scenario. They tend to get a mindset about these things. Often, the abrupt change of their environment will cause an abrupt change of their minds. Sometimes, not.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I once was told that you should take swarm cells from one hive, but the bees from another and that would prevent them from swarming out. Actually, put the bees in and then wait one day before adding the swarm cell. They need a day to realize that they are really queenless, then they will accept the cell. That's what I normally do. Is that right, everyone?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts