Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
installing a spin float in July and looking for some experiences on flow/handling issues, like what others have used for agitation and handling of cappings with extractor stock prior to the moyno. Thanks, Bob

·
Registered
6,683 Posts
We run everything together into a heated floor sump that probably holds around a thousand pounds, and use no agitation through the extracting day, however the wax head does tend to build up through the day. Each morning before we begin, we skim off 5 to 10 gallons of dry cappings then, immediately before turning the pump on, thoroughly stir it up. It’s a bit crude but it works well though one has to be vigilant that the pump float dosent become “”wax bound”. There are better systems out there using a continuous slow agitation.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jim, so you just drop the cappings into the tank w/o any chopping. I'm new to the moyno idea and was wondering about capping chunks.

·
Registered
6,683 Posts
Our cappings go from our Cowan uncapper into an auger that empties into the sump. Our extractor directly drains into the opposite end of the sump. The Moyno will pretty much handle anything as long as it is wet enough to flow.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
is your sump heat adequate to forgo a heat exchanger in your process. I'm just thinking with my keyboard, i'll bundle any more questions to save you time.

·
Registered
6,683 Posts
is your sump heat adequate to forgo a heat exchanger in your process. I'm just thinking with my keyboard, i'll bundle any more questions to save you time.
No. It’s main purpose is to keep it warm overnight and for times when you aren’t extracting. Wouldn’t be necessary for a floor level sump. A heat exchanger is pretty much a must for a spin float as the optimum input temp Is 100 to 105.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
can you get through a week and w/e without having to pull the drum for cleaning. I see some of the northern(canola) spinners have crystallization concerns, but I haven't noticed any doing that just for wax buildup.

·
Registered
617 Posts
We only clean the drum once a season (midseason if we haven't mange things properly). 80 to 90 percent of the honey we extract is canola. The trick is to keep heat on the spinfloat. During the weekend or similar break we crank the extracting room to 90F.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the help, we have the drum out and replacing some parts, although we have the layout planned, many questions remain. We plan to augur the cappings to the extractor sump and agitate/chop the honey-wax slurry prior to the pump. C & B sez consistent delivery is a factor in separator efficiency so the pump needs to be selected to size. PM or reply with any suggestions or advice you would like to share. Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts