Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I caught a swarm today at a local college here in Springfield, MO. I also found the actual hive in another tree near by. However, it is about twenty-five feet up. See the photo.

Bee Tree 3.JPG

My question is, I can fasten a shelf to the tree, and I can make the trap; I think, but my time may be limited due to the college setting and the college’s desire to keep the campus nice. I believe the queen is in the swarm that I caught today next to the hive, so there is a low probability that there is another one in the hive yet. If I move quickly, can I install a trap with some brood comb (eggs and Larvae) to lure any new queen out into the trap, or what would the other bees do? Would they take care of the eggs and brood, or would they clear them out? It seems like it would be a perfect time for a trap-out due to the hive being in transition already, but I don’t know.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Since the hive is in transition as you say, it shouldn't take too long for a trap out. Figure it this way, if you got the queen from that hive already there are only swarm queens left in the hive. If you were to say drop some beequick or beegone into the hive after the screen is put into place and sealed, all the bees would surely run out. If you have open brood in the box they will gladly take care of it once out. And since there is most likely a swarm queen in there too, she'd come along for the ride i would think.

·
Registered
538 Posts
If they are in fact a swarm from that hive you can do the trap out. I would use a frame of brood that is all capped if possible as you have a virgin queen wanting to take a mating flight. You would catch her coming back from her flight. Hang the trap check it in 3-4 days for queen cells and remove then about 10 days later for a queen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts