Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pulled honey off of medium supers this morning pretty happy with the pay off. Couple of questions. These frames were 10 frames in 10 frame boxes. If I want to go to 9 frames in a 10 frame box when do you space those out? If they are partially drawn (remaining comb after extraction) is it ok to go to 9 frame spacing now? I know it is not recommended to go to 9 frame spacing on undrawn foundation. I am just not clear how and when to go 9 frame spacing in honey supers.

Also there were a few frames that had a very thin layer of capped honey. So thin it wasnt practical to even try and de-cap them to extract. Is it better to just scrape off that thin honey layer and make the bees rebuild that comb?

·
Registered
711 Posts
I use all 9 frame honey supers, although the brood boxes are 10 frame. I put on un-drawn foundation without an issue. When they're on a flow they draw it just fine. I use metal frame spaces in my supers. This keeps them in proper order. With 9 frames they also create deeper comb which results in more honey space. You can just scrape those shallow frames and the bees will draw it back out.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,547 Posts
Husker,
I generally draw in a 10 frame with 10 frames.
do the difficult de capping the first year then go to 9 the second year, and at times even 8.
I will try Jon's suggestion to draw them at 9 to start with.
All capping should be removed when extracting, I have seem comb built on capping surface, really that is not desired.

GG

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I am running 9 in the supers to make it easier to extract. Most of the frames that have foundation in the supers were already drawn out last year. I use the plastic spacer tools because I move medium boxes around some since I use some mediums in the brood nest.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I have moved to 8 frames in honey supers after they are drawen. It makes it a dream uncapping.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Those 9 frame spacers are great. I skipped using some in supers this season and had a lot of difficulty uncapping those that came out of the 10 frame supers. Plus the 9 frame supers look more impressive!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts