Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts
> I still enjoy reading his posts.........and
> arguing with him.

Same here, Idee.

> I think it has to do with having more time on
> his hands than most. Or nothing better to do...

Well, let's see, Bjorn:

Profile for BjornBee:

So, that's 945.5 posts per year, an average
of 2.5 per day, 7 days a week, 365
days a year, with no days off.

Profile for Jim Fischer:

A mere 495 posts per year, just over half
as many as Bjorn.

So, if anyone seems to have too much
time on their hands, or nothing better to do,
it would be... Bjorn, who is the all-time
3rd most prolific poster on BeeSource ever,
as indicated on the "directory" page.

It is much more than the "pot calling the
Kettle "black"
, it is the freakin'
multi-ton "Bessemer Converter
calling the kettle black"

The defense rests it's case.

And thanks for the weather report, Mike
sorry to hear about the very unusual and
abnormal lows, hope they continue to crop
up only every century or so.

>And thanks for the weather report, Mike
sorry to hear about the very unusual and
abnormal lows, hope they continue to crop
up only every century or so.

Interesting way to avoid admitting you quoted an erroneous number in order to disagree with my statement.

>>"The climate is severely continental throughout Nebraska; a low of -40°F (-40°C) in the winter is not unusual"
http://www.bartleby.com/65/ne/Nebraska.html

It seems to me they are saying precisely what I already said. Even to the exact degree F, and that it is not unusual. -47 F is every century or so. -40 F is not.

BTW I gave you too much credit. I assumed you merely had out of date information. As it turns out the -47 F record (-20 more than your quote) was set six years before the number you quoted and then matched about a century later. You really should get your facts straight before you correct people. As someone who has SEEN the thermometer at more than -40 F while I was IN the state of Nebraska, I actually wasn't making the number up off the top of my head (as you seem to have done, since -27 degrees at Vinita NE has NEVER been the record low in Nebraska) nor was I quoting things that happened a century ago as you now imply.

Why don't you just admit you were wrong? Wouldn't that be simpler?

Extreme. Over the top. Asinine. Misdirected energy. Antagonistic. Overly self conscience. I'm at a loss Jim. Not sure which applies, or maybe they all do.

I'm sometimes absolutely flabbergasted by your responses. I little comment, really harmless, and meaning no harm...and a response including statistics overview, post breakdown, a full blown rebuttal,....I don't know what to say.

Maybe number of posts is just one angle Jim. Maybe I have lots of posts, because I help alot of people. Hardly could say thats "nothing better to do".

If you would want to do a breakdown Jim, how about this. Compare my last 50 posts, to yours. See how many of mine were directed in conversation towards helping someone else, in beekeeping. And then look at yours. (Yes, even the ones changed or deleted for posts of klansmen comments, white hoods, and personal attacks.)

Seems lately most of your posts have been arguing some definition of a word that one person happened to use to your disliking, more posts about calling beesource members ignorant and suggesting membership in the klan - for the mere misqouting of history, and then the whole, "I'll spend all day arguing with Joe".....should I go on?

You can call me any cooking device in the kitchen...but your not even in the same room! Get a grip. (For the sake of all the beesource members, including me!)

[ February 20, 2007, 06:48 AM: Message edited by: BjornBee ]

Fellows,
I would check out Brother Adams comments on this:

Brother Adam Bibliography

Hives on pallets each one facing in a different direction to minimize drift.

I agree with Bjorn. I have a limited number of hives, and I don't mind walking from one to another. My nucs are three hundred yards from the hives. My hives are four to twenty feet apart. Again I live if Florida.

Ravenseye I think your's is a good idea. Anything that makes the work more comfortable is good to try.

Albert

How close?

I have my two hives on cross ties, but I am considering changing this.Bees don't here but they do feel vibrations. I have noticed that the last hive that I work is usually more defensive than the first one.I think all things considered it may be better to have each hive on its on stand,and about 3to4 feet from next hive.Any comments?
beewhisper

>But if your not moving hives for migratory needs, why have them slid up against each other?

Because some winters it hits -40 F. Most winters it hits -20 F. I think they are warmer up next to each other. On eight frame hives, this blocks the heat loss on 60% of the outside edges of the hives leaving only 40% of it exposed. I insulate the tops.
Please straighten me out - I was under the impression that it didn't matter much whether it was 20 below or 20 above - that a healthy cluster with adequate resources would be just fine. My understanding that cluster survival problems are usually due to high humidity, disease stress or inadequate size. None of these have anything to do with ajoining or separated hives.

I'd appreciate some more discussion on this as it affects how I may set up my new yard this summer.

Thanx,

Dale

Leaving a good amount of space on all sides of the hives makes it easier to wrap with tarpaper. Also to sidle up and have a listen - several of my clusters moved to one side in the winter and I can hear them better from that side.

I have a stand like you describe - two 6' 4x4s on 4 cinderblocks stood up the tall way. It is a nice setup and i have 2 hives on it, one on each side. All of my other hives are on single stands made from PT 4x4 and 2x4 in a frame like a table but with no "top". These are nice and allow debris from SBB to fall to the ground.

If you have time, paint different colors. It certainly doesn't hurt any and might help. Also, big white boxes with bees (in summer) is scary/indimidating to lots of people. Big colorful hives are less scary. When your friends come to see the bees they can distinguish - "what's that on the purple one?"

Just my 2 cents.

Ravenseye, I do exactly what you're planning on doing. My hives are a little better than one hive's width apart so I have a place to set down the outer cover and boxes as I make my inspections (see http://www.ncneighbors.com/media.wsi?group_id=3520&collection_id=620&media_id=1). As for painting them different colors to avoid drifting, I think it's a good idea, but don't bother doing it because all my hives have a different color pattern as it is.

>Please straighten me out - I was under the impression that it didn't matter much whether it was 20 below or 20 above - that a healthy cluster with adequate resources would be just fine.

Heat loss is heat loss. Minimizing it helps a lot. Especially if they get stuck in one place with subzero temps and brood.

> My understanding that cluster survival problems are usually due to high humidity, disease stress or inadequate size. None of these have anything to do with ajoining or separated hives.

But a few degrees difference in temps can make the difference between being able to move to stores or not.

>I'd appreciate some more discussion on this as it affects how I may set up my new yard this summer.

It's irelevant in the summer. :)

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.