Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been told you can over-winter a hive in one box in the south, Does anyone do this? I use 2 brood boxes though the winters a generally mild 30's.
- Tim

·
Registered
6,584 Posts
I've talked to a few southern beekeepers that routinely winter over colonies in 2 and 3 deeps. Says it gives `em a faster jump start in the spring which turns into better honey production overall.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,171 Posts
I've overwinter SMALL clusters in one deep here in Nebraska. (I inherited some bees on deeps and I have three of hives each in one deep right now) If you're talking about a soccer ball sized cluster of Italians in one deep, that wouldn't work here, but if you live somewhere warm enough you can feed periodically I would guess you could get away with it.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
I've been debating this for a while too. In the past I've always used two deeps, and generally find the top one is still full of honey in the spring. One person in our club advocates overwintering in nucs and claims that two deeps are a big waste of equipment. He's very knowledgeable and always seems to have good success. Notice that we're very near the ocean, so our temps are more moderate than those inland at the same latitude, however its not unusual to see temps drop into the lower 20's at night. This year I've decided to go with mostly single deeps and even attempting to overwinter a nuc. Hopefully, my experiment will not result in a higher failure rate. I'll try to keep you posted.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,171 Posts
> In the past I've always used two deeps, and generally find the top one is still full of honey in the spring.

Yes, but sometimes some boomer will start rearing brood like crazy and use up some of that.

On the other hand, a smaller space work work better for wintering.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
>Yes, but sometimes some boomer will start rearing brood like crazy and use up some of that.

Good point. Its probably more critical to stay on top of hive conditions when using a single deep. I'll be out there for sure in January-March checking their status and feeding if necessary.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Astro,
Please keep me posted. Your club wouldn't happen to be Tidewater Beekeepers would it?
- Tim

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OOOh that's almost an insult. Of course we're Southern. Virginia was the capital of the south don't forget. As far as "North" Carolina is concerned, it is the only Carolina. Carolinians call that other state North Georgia. (LOL)
- Tim

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
OOOh that's almost an insult. Of course we're Southern. Virginia was the capital of the south don't forget. As far as "North" Carolina is concerned, it is the only Carolina. Carolinians call that other state North Georgia. (LOL)
- Tim

let me tell you something mister, you should be southern virginia, but we real Carolinians out of a general civility and good nature allow you to avail your selves of the name "carolina" and we are even so generous as to distinguish ourselves with the prefix "South" Carolina to ensure your cantankerous misdeeds and general bad attitudes dont disparage our good name. All you people up there are on thin ice, down to the last straw, and are this(holds finger and thumb 1/8 inch apart) close to complete rejection from the "Carolina" club. I'd watch myself if I were you, as you and all the north cackalackians walk a thin line my friend.

[ December 16, 2005, 02:01 PM: Message edited by: FordGuy ]

·
Registered
318 Posts
Read Walt Wright's comments on the standard double deep of the south. He states that two deeps are excessive and recomends shallow/deep/shallow. Interesting stuff this. New ideas to me as I am trying to learn after a long time out.
Now with all due respect to virginians and carolinians please keep y'alls famalial squabbles to yourselves. The last time the South Carolinians got their panties in a wad it cost us dearly. LOL BTW The first capital was Montgomery, Alabama the HEART of Dixie.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
[I've been told you can over-winter a hive in one box in the south,]

We winter hives at both our northern and southern locations in single deeps quite successfully. Richard Taylor always ran sinles in upstate New York and recently there was a link to a Canadian operation that winters a couple hundred hives in singles.

To answer your question, quite affirmatively yes!

[ December 15, 2005, 08:12 PM: Message edited by: Joel ]

·
Registered
61 Posts
You can get Walt Wright's "Nectar Management" by sending $10.00 to Walt Wright Box 10 Elkton, TN 38455. Very interesting reading. Like warrior said, Walt recommends a deep and two shallows. He gives good reason for that configuration.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Two shallows and a deep? Interesting, I've been looking for a beekeeping book geared towards southern beekeepers, i'll check that book out.
Yeah Astro i joined the tidewater club last year but could only make a couple of meetings (due to work schedule) I did enjoy it very much though.
On the subject of "The war of Northern aggression" Richmond VA served as the Capital also.
- Tim

·
Registered
115 Posts
A very experienced Master Craftsman beekeeper in our county BK club (Alamance County, NC) overwinters in a single deep with a medium super of honey on each. He has about 30 hives, and has been very successful. He's in north central North Carolina.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts