Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy day it's 70-75 degrees here in southern Illinois went to check my hives and they're bringing in the pollen by the truck load!!! But the question is where's it all coming from!?

·
Registered
59 Posts
This is good news. I'm in So IL as well and was going to do a hive inspection today, but I got sick so I'm confined to the house. Thanks for the update. I would like to know where the pollen is coming from as well.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Girls are bringing it in here too. Mostly pale yellow, and some orange. Some of the girls bringing it look like they rolled in it, as their abdomens are the same color as the pollen. Have no idea what plant it could be. Pussy willows starting to bloom, but are not open enough, and no visible pollen on the blooms.

·
Registered
315 Posts
That is awesome. The few bees I have seen here in UT have been loaded with pollen too. But lots is starting to bloom here. I have seen crocuses, daffodils (my favorite!) and lots of trees budding also. Love it!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Observed my hive for a out 15 minutes yesterdayand they were bringing in a ton of medium yellow pollen. I have no idea where it is coming from as nothing is in bloom yet.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Observed my hive for a out 15 minutes yesterdayand they were bringing in a ton of medium yellow pollen. I have no idea where it is coming from as nothing is in bloom yet.
Mine have been bringing it in too... Probably maple and elm..

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
saw several thousand bees out flying yesterday in and out of my hive and orienting like they came from it...............only problem is my last hive died two weeks ago :(

·
Registered
695 Posts
Mine are bringing is small amounts of pollen that is pale yellow / off white
color.

Wonder if it's not some left over from last year, maybe goldenrod. Was -7 here just a week ago and I don't see anything blooming yet.

Either way we are very close to Spring.

Don

·
Registered
24 Posts
Tough winter for my girls... lost 35 percent here in Southern IL. But I did notice that they were bringing in pollen and had some nectar set up in there! For the life of me I don't know where it is from. But alas, it is cold and miserable again today...think spring!

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Maple, elm, pussy willow (earlier than you might thing), dandelion (which blooms nearly all year here and there in protected places, two years ago my bees were bringing in dandelion pollen in December), spring beauties, hellebore.

Maples are huge right now here in S. Indiana, and I'm sure there are other things blooming you wouldn't notice. Maple blossoms when there is pollen available are barely visible from the ground. When you can see those nice red things on the branches they are about done blooming, the seed wings are what you are seeing.

Check to make sure you have enough honey, they can still starve out when they start to raise brood if they are short.

Peter

1 - 13 of 13 Posts