Votes: 1 1.2%
  • I don't care wither way

Votes: 7 8.5%
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be a tough post, but I am curious to see how many people bought packages/Nucs from the southeast US and you consider them a Failure for one reason or another. This is tough because failure means many things to many people. To me, this means you had to requeen, they absconded, they didn't make it, Hive beetles and Varroa got them...I think you get the point.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Packages and nucs fail for 2 reasons.

1. The beekeeper that has them
2. The queen wasn't properly mated

All other reason's for failure can be prevented by the beekeeper other than vandalism.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I had to requeen w/in 5months, but that could have been a newbeek error

·
Registered
671 Posts
Just fyi...I started eight packages this spring. Two of them had poor quality queens...drone layers. I feel that the queens weren't properly mated to begin with.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bump. Come on folks, we gotta know....has it been bad?

·
Registered
256 Posts
I was able to get one of the first shipment of queens from Georgia this spring. Unfortunately there were many of the queens that were no mated properly and therefore the results were dismal at best. Usually queens from Georgia have been very good, but because of the longer than normal winter I suspect that queen breeders were being pushed to deliver and the breeder stock was stressed resulting in poor mating. A few of my queens were not mated, some were below average size and some died withing two days of arrival. Overall it was poor group of queens.
I plan on never buying queens again, better resulta can be acheived through raising my own queens. I can control quality, the new queens will be climate acclimated and the benefits for the small hive keeper far outweigh the results from purchased queens.

·
Registered
850 Posts
On the same page as this post you can see several reports of package failures- search on beesource and I am sure you will find lots and lots.

·
Registered
115 Posts
It has been a bad year for the industry. Also the multiple variations in the weather have affected. With the extraourdinary amount of snow from last winter I expected bumper crops of honey this year but so far it is not so.

·
Registered
486 Posts

All other reason's for failure can be prevented by the beekeeper other than vandalism.
Hmmmm, maybe. Not sure that applies in all situations.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Three of us bought a total of 6 packages this year, we're all new beekeepers. So far no problems with any of them that I know of.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So far we have had 32 voters. I know their are varying opinions on this subject hence the reason I put up a poll. I am hoping all that did say they have a problem vote. Never know though!

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
How can anyone take this poll seriously? It is pure propaganda with no real value.

It's designed to influence folks to vote a certain way, and posters are even going to the point of trying to gather voters who will give them the answer they want to hear.

If you want an honest poll, quit asking people to give you the answer you are looking for. Instead, seek the truth.

·
Banned
2,668 Posts

The biggest problem I have seen this year was drift when shaking packages. When you are shaking packages in 80 or 85 degree sunny weather, some bees are going to drift, even if you spray them with syrup when you shake them.

Some hives end up with tiny clusters, and some hives attract a lot of the drifting bees, and you have two supers of dandelion honey on those hives.

The package hives that lost a lot of bees due to drift will be too slow to build up to make a crop with unless you give them frames of brood from strong hives. Unless you equalize your hives, those weaker hives will be failures.

Perhaps we should define failure also. Is it a failure if the package hive doesn't build up strong enough to produce a crop, or is it just a failure if it dies out completely?

·
Registered
300 Posts
3-The nuc was diseased
4-Your package was full of old bees and not enough young bees
Beeslave hit the nail on the head! I started 16 packages on Mar. 27&28th. Two has superseded and one needs too. Most all are drawing their second hive body of unwaxed plastic foundation. I have kept feeders on them, pollen patties at first and equalized brood. The biggest thing I noticed was that there was a lot of old bees and drones, because I know it rained the day these packages were shaken and I was told that they would work in the rain. It is not their fault I choose a pickup date of Mar. 27, and yes they did have a schedule to keep, thats life. All and all so far I'm satisfied. Last year I didn't get any at all.
Gary

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
How can anyone take this poll seriously? It is pure propaganda with no real value.

It's designed to influence folks to vote a certain way, and posters are even going to the point of trying to gather voters who will give them the answer they want to hear.

If you want an honest poll, quit asking people to give you the answer you are looking for. Instead, seek the truth.
HEY CB, not sure what you see as pure propoganda, but i have heard it said MANY times that the southern packes had problems this year. BECAUSE this was said, i decided to create the poll. I do not care either way, but becuase of the things that were said i decided to ask....you are free not to vote and to find somehting else to ctitique, but do me a favor, don't critisize something that you havent even asked me about and the intentions behind it sir. Also, if you READ my little blurb on the first page, i did NOT limit what people thought was a failure because failure means different hings to different people.....In what way is the designed to influence poeple in any way?....man, you sure as heck make a ton of accusations....especially without asking why I posted this. Gets annoying personally, and you have NO idea of my intentions behind it do you?

1 - 20 of 73 Posts