Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
I would ask the nursery your buying your trees from the questions you have. They would probably be most helpful. If not see if there are forestry folks that live around you that you could ask.

I will say this, living in the heart of sourwood country. Just because you have sourwood doesn't mean it will produce enough to make sourwood honey. The sourwood is a shallow root tree, but living in Washington you shouldn't have problems with moisture. Sourwood produces best at certain elevations as well.

The past 3 years the beeks around the mountains here have gotten very little sourwood. We are looking forward to this year though because we've had a very wet year.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Although I can't tell you when they will bloom, I found a guy on Ebay who has some for sell and his price has beat everyone so far. I won't tell the price here because I have bought many plants from him, and he may have given me a discount. The sourwoods I received from him were all over 3 feet, most about 4 feet tall. Furthermore, I have bought tulip poplars, witch hazel, redbuds, mimosas, and others from him, and they have all been of good size. They are shipped bare root, so you have to get them in the ground quickly. His ebay name is earthwaterwindfire365. He is not currently listing sourwoods, but he emailed me 3 weeks ago and said he had about 50 of them. If you go to one of his other listings and contact him, I am sure if he has any left he will sell them to you. I would ask that you let him know that I pointed you to him so that he doesn't wonder how you heard about them since they are not listed, but don't state a price. Once you find out, let me know through a private message as to the price he gives you.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks anthony -
i will let you know - im still seaching for if they grow well here in washington

i talked with several nusuries and most dont know and would tell you that Bananas thrive in Alaska
not really helpful

·
Registered
265 Posts
Very slow-growing, deciduous, ornamental, shade tree
Matures 30-40 ft tall; width 20-30 ft
Soil: moist, well-drained, acid; full sun or partial light shade
Plant Zone 5 to 9
All season beauty with fragrant blooms. Does not tolerate city pollution

Pyramidal shape tree with a light, feather appearance. Common name, sourwood, comes from the very sour-tasting foliage. Narrow (5-8 in. long) leaves that are bronze tinted in early spring, rich green in summer, orange and scarlet to blackish-purple in autumn
Blooms in summer with bell-shaped, creamy white flowers in 10 inch long, drooping clusters at branch tips
In fall, clusters of greenish seed capsules which will turn light silver-gray color will hang on late into winter
Little or no pruning needed. Unless you want to grow like a tree.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts