Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI I Live Currently in Gwinnett County Near Lake Linear Area I have recently moved here I see a few Sourwood Trees in my backyard (i have seen 6 up to now there may be more back in the woods) i have heard that to get the sourwood flow in georgia people move their hives in the north mountains now my question is that if i have sourwood trees available here do i still need to go up there to catch the flow? do the souwood trees in my area provide equal amount of nectar than that of the trees in the north GA mountains.

·
Registered
7,826 Posts
As I understand it, elevation is important. I have sourwood trees all around my place near Athens. They are blooming as I write....and I never see bees on them. I keep a beeyard in NC at about 3400ft and when those things are blooming there...you'll hear them before you see them. They are covered with all sorts of bees and hummingbirds.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I live in NC at 850'. I seems like about once every 3 or 4 years my sourwoods have a lot of bees on them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies it makes sense so i will go ahead and get my hives up in the mountains.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts